Paperwork When Selling a Car in North Dakota

Paperwork Required to Sell a Car in North Dakota

To sell your car in North Dakota, you'll need to properly gauge your car's condition and current value, and then scheme out the best way to advertise it to possible buyers.

If you're a bit intimidated by the prospect, we can help. We've prepared a helpful guide breaking down the process and offering a plethora of tips for pulling off a successful sale.

When you've done all the hard work—that is, once you've found someone who wants to buy your vehicle—and you're ready to actually transfer ownership to the buyer, you'll need to follow a few basic steps, including:

  • Providing the buyer with the completed vehicle certificate of title.
  • Providing a damage or salvage disclosure statement, if applicable.
  • Removing the car's license plates.

This page outlines all the necessary documents you will need to provide to the buyer in order to transfer the vehicle over.

Required Documents in North Dakota

To properly transfer ownership of your vehicle in North Dakota, you will need to provide the following documents to the buyer:

  • Certificate of title:
    • You must complete the "Seller's Assignment & Warranty of Title" sections on the back, which includes the sale price, date of transfer, odometer reading (if the vehicle is younger than 10 years old), and signature.
  • Damage/Salvage Disclosure Statement (Form SFN 18609), if the vehicle is younger than 9 years old.

It is the buyer's responsibility to go to the North Dakota Department of Transportation (DOT) office and register and title the car in their own name.

Lost or Stolen ND Title Certificate

If you can't find your vehicle title, or if it has been damaged, you'll need to get a replacement before you can sell your car. You'll need to complete an Application for Certificate of Title & Registration of a Vehicle (Form SFN 2872) and submit it to the North Dakota DOT's Motor Vehicle Division.

On the application form, you'll need to specify the reason you need a replacement, i.e. whether the original title has been lost, stolen, or mutilated.

You will also need to pay a $5 fee for a replacement title.

If there's a lien, the duplicate title will be sent to the lien holder on record, unless you can provide a Release of Lien by Legal Owner (Form SFN 2876).

For more information, see our Replacing a Lost Title in North Dakota page.

Vehicle History Report

When you are selling your car, it's important to remember that smart shoppers will request a vehicle history report before they commit to buying. The report will contain information about your vehicle, including:

  • Any previous accidents.
  • Major repairs.
  • Flood damage.
  • Theft.

For this reason, you should always be forthcoming with information about your vehicle's history in order to gain the buyer's trust and to ensure a smooth transaction.

You can always order a vehicle history report yourself to show potential buyers. This may increase your chances of selling your car faster.

Forms for Easy Download

Damage/Salvage Disclosure Statement (Form SFN 18609)

Application for Certificate of Title & Registration of a Vehicle(Form SFN 2872)

Release of Lien by Legal Owner(Form SFN 2876)

Optional helpful links:


SFN 2872
Application for Certificate of Title and Registration of a Vehicle
Apply for a new, renewal, OR duplicate ND DOT title, registration, or tabs.
SFN 18609
Damage/Salvage Disclosure Statement
Fill this form out to disclose damage to a vehicle you are selling that is less than 9 years old. Must be signed by the buyer AND seller.
SFN 2876
Release of Lien by Legal Owner
Use this form to release a vehicle owner from a lien after transferring the title to them.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review