Salvaged Vehicles in North Carolina

For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.

Licensed by the
California DMV
California DMV
Online Registration Online Registration
Same Day Processing Same Day Processing
E-copy of Registration E-copy of Registration
Alternate Mailing Address Alternate Mailing Address
Phone Support Phone Support
$29 Convenience Fee Learn more below

Start Your CaReg Expedited Registration Renewal

Many times, insurance companies will declare a damaged vehicle a salvage vehicle. This usually happens when it has been in an accident or damaged by a natural disaster, such as a hurricane. In North Carolina, a vehicle may be defined as a salvage vehicle if repairing it would cost more than 75% of the vehicle's fair market value.

Insurance companies that declare your car totaled, for example, will send you money for its market value. You can choose to keep the car after your claim is paid, or assign the title to the insurance company. Once they own the car, they can keep it, junk it, or sell it. If the damage has not completely ruined the car, often they will fix the car and sell it at auction.


In North Carolina, the insurer or dealer that sells a salvaged vehicle must disclose its status to the buyer in writing. To conceal damage is a misdemeanor punishable by fines.

For more information regarding salvage vehicles in North Carolina, call the Department of Transportation, Division of Motor Vehicles, Salvage Office at (919) 861-3500.

Consumer Protection

When you buy a used vehicle, there are a number of steps you can take to protect yourself. First, get the car's VIN if you can. There are companies that can access the national VIN database. That way, you can learn about the vehicle's history for a small fee.

You can also run a vehicle history report for a reasonable fee. If you can't get the VIN, ask the dealer for a copy of the dealer's warranty. When purchasing from an individual or repair shop, you can ask for the maintenance records from the car. Look for anything suspicious.

Related Content

Provide Feedback BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through

Looking for Salvaged Vehicles in Another State?