Other Vehicle Registrations in North Carolina

SUMMARY: How to Register Other Vehicle Types in North Carolina

Special vehicle types in North Carolina have unique registration requirements and exemptions separate from regular cars and trucks. ATVs are not required to be registered at all, while custom-built cars need to be accompanied by a specific affidavit plus titles for major parts of the vehicle. Recreational vehicles and trailers are registered using the same process as standard vehicles.

If you own a vehicle other than your standard car, motorcycle, or pickup truck, you should be aware of the rules and regulations that the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has in place, as they will need to be registered.

You may also be interested in our other registration pages:

All-Terrain Vehicles in NC

In most cases, the NC DMV does not require all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) to be registered and titled in the state. There are however, certain state laws that you must follow:

  • Operators of ATVs depend on the power of the ATV and the age of the operator:
    • Children under 8 years old are not permitted to operate an ATV or UTV in North Carolina.
    • 70 cc and under - 13 years old.
    • 90 cc and under - 16 years old.
    • Over 90 cc - 16 years old and over.
  • You must be wearing a helmet and protective glasses.
  • You must have a ATV safety certificate, depending on your age.
  • You cannot operate your ATV on any public roads or highways (unless you're simply crossing the road).

For more information about the state laws relating to operating your ATV in North Carolina, visit the ATV safety website.

Low-Speed Vehicles

If you have a low-speed vehicle, such as a golf cart, you must have it registered before you can drive it on public streets and highways.  Low-speed vehicles may be operated only on streets with a posted speed limit of 35 MPH or less. You will first need to have it inspected for adequate:

  • Headlamps.
  • Stop lamps.
  • Turning signals.
  • Tail lamps.
  • Reflex reflectors.
  • Parking brakes.
  • Rearview mirrors.
  • Windshields (and wipers).
  • Speedometer.
  • Seat belts.
  • Vehicle identification number (VIN).

Once it passes the inspection, visit your local NC DMV office with proof of your insurance. You'll also need to pay a registration fee. Contact the NC Division of Motor Vehicles for more information.

Mobile Homes and Recreational Vehicles

Motorhomes and recreational vehicles (RVs) need to be registered in North Carolina much like your standard automobile. You'll need to visit your local NC DMV office with:

  • Your certificate of title (for used cars) OR a manufacturer's certificate of origin (for new cars).
  • A completed Title Application (Form MVR-1).
  • Payment for the applicable fees:
    • $56 title transfer fee.
    • 3% highway use tax.
    • 4.75% tax.

For more information, see our Registering a Car in North Carolina page.

NOTE: If you are recording your motorhome as real estate, you will need to submit an Affidavit for Removal of Manufactured Home from Vehicle Registration Files (Form MVR-46G) to the NC DMV.

Trailer Registration in North Carolina

You register a trailer just like you register a car, minus, of course, an odometer statement. You'll need to complete some forms and visit your NC DMV office along with a notarized title and proof of insurance for the vehicle that will be pulling the trailer. The exact cost will vary based on your county's tax rate.

Visit our Register Car in North Carolina page for more information.

Custom-Built Cars

To register your custom-built car in North Carolina, follow the general steps listed on our NC Vehicle Registration page. You'll need to bring a few additional documents:

  • An Affidavit for Custom/Replica Built Vehicle (Form MVR-55).
  • An inspector's report.
  • A certificate of title or manufacturer's certificate of origin for the following major parts:
    • Frame.
    • Engine.
    • Transmission.
      • NOTE: If you don't have these certificates, you can file an indemnity bond.


Mopeds must be registered in North Carolina. To register your moped you will need to submit the following to the NC DMV:

You may also be required to pay a Regional Transportation Tax.
You must adhere to the following laws related to operating a moped:

  • Be at least 16 years old to ride your moped on public roads or highways.
  • Be wearing a helmet at all times.
  • Carry vehicle insurance.

NOTE: You do not need to have a NC driver's license to legally operate your moped.


Certification of Plate and/or Address
Use this form to certify your NC license plate AND/OR address when titling certain vehicles (e.g. mopeds).
Title Application
Submit this form to the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles to apply for a new vehicle title.
Affidavit for Removal of Manufactured Home from Vehicle Registration Files
Submit this form to have a manufactured home removed from your NC vehicle registration records.
Affidavit for Custom/Replica Built Vehicle
Use this form when registering a customized OR replica vehicle in North Carolina. Certifies your vehicle meets all NC and federal safety standards.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review