Other Vehicle Registrations in North Carolina
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
If you own a vehicle other than your standard car, motorcycle, or pickup truck, you should be aware of the rules and regulations that the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has in place, as they will need to be registered.
You may also be interested in our other registration pages:
All-Terrain Vehicles in NC
In most cases, the NC DMV does not require all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) to be registered and titled in the state. There are however, certain state laws that you must follow:
- You must be at least 8 years old to operate an ATV.
- Certain restrictions apply depending on your age.
- You must be wearing a helmet and protective glasses.
- You must have a ATV safety certificate, depending on your age.
- You cannot operate your ATV on any public roads or highways (unless you're simply crossing the road).
For more information about the state laws relating to operating your ATV in North Carolina, visit the ATV safety website.
If you have a low-speed vehicle, such as a golf cart, you must have it registered before you can drive it on public streets and highways. You will first need to have it inspected for adequate:
- Stop lamps.
- Turning signals.
- Tail lamps.
- Reflex reflectors.
- Parking brakes.
- Rearview mirrors.
- Windshields (and wipers).
- Seat belts.
- Vehicle identification number (VIN).
Mobile Homes and Recreational Vehicles
Motorhomes and recreational vehicles (RVs) need to be registered in North Carolina much like your standard automobile. You'll need to visit your local NC DMV office with:
- Your certificate of title (for used cars) OR a manufacturer's certificate of origin (for new cars).
- A completed Title Application (Form MVR-1).
- Payment for the applicable fees:
- $52 title transfer fee.
- 3% highway use tax.
- 2% tax (up to $300).
For more information, see our Registering a Car in North Carolina page.
NOTE: If you are recording your motorhome as real estate, you will need to submit an Affidavit for Removal of Manufactured Home from Vehicle Registration Files (Form MVR-46G) to the NC DMV.
Trailer Registration in North Carolina
You register a trailer just like you register a car, minus, of course, an odometer statement. You'll need to complete some forms and visit your NC DMV office along with a notarized title and proof of insurance for the vehicle that will be pulling the trailer. The exact cost will vary based on your county's tax rate.
Visit our Register Car in North Carolina page for more information.
To register your custom-built car in North Carolina, follow the general steps listed on our NC Vehicle Registration page. You'll need to bring a few additional documents:
- An Affidavit for Custom/Replica Built Vehicle (Form MVR-55).
- An inspector's report.
- A certificate of title or manufacturer's certificate of origin for the following major parts:
- NOTE: If you don't have these certificates, you can file an indemnity bond.
Mopeds must be registered in North Carolina. To register your moped you will need to submit the following to the NC DMV:
- A valid NC driver's license OR ID card.
- The Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCD).
- A completed Certification of Plate and/or Address (Form MVR-1A), OR
- A completed Affidavit of Facts for the Registration of a Moped (Form MVR-58)
You must adhere to the following laws related to operating a moped:
- Be at least 16 years old to ride your moped on public roads or highways.
- Be wearing a helmet at all times.
- Carry vehicle insurance.
NOTE: You do not need to have a NC driver's license to legally operate your moped.
Certification of Plate and/or Address - MVR-1A
Use this form to certify your NC license plate AND/OR address when titling certain vehicles (e.g. mopeds).
Title Application - MVR-1
Submit this form to the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles to apply for a new vehicle title.
Affidavit for Removal of Manufactured Home from Vehicle Registration Files - MVR-46G
Submit this form to have a manufactured home removed from your NC vehicle registration records.
Affidavit for Custom/Replica Built Vehicle - MVR-55
Use this form when registering a customized OR replica vehicle in North Carolina. Certifies your vehicle meets all NC and federal safety standards.