Dealer Forms in North Carolina

As a motor vehicle dealer in North Carolina, there are many forms you will need to operate your business. Beginning with your application for dealer license and plates, and subsequent renewals, you will also have to secure dealer surety bonds, and have each of your sales representatives apply for their licenses.

These forms, together with the North Carolina statutes that regulate dealers, can be found in the Motor Vehicle Dealer and Manufacturer Regulation Manual. The manual is in PDF format and requires Adobe Reader. If you do not have the Adobe Reader, you can download it for free.

Once you become a licensed vehicle dealer in North Carolina, there will be a lot of paperwork involved in buying and selling vehicles. You might need a Lien Recording Application (Form MVR-6) or a 30-Day Temporary Tag Order . In addition, your customers will rely on you to supply them with a bill of sale or Damage Disclosure Statement (Form MVR-181).

If you will be registering and titling vehicles for your customers, you must also be familiar with the procedures for doing so and the forms involved with it. Everything you need to know can be found in the Title Manual. Licensed dealers can get hard copies of this manual at no charge. Find the nearest DMV office online.

Unfortunately, the North Carolina DMV is not set up to handle forms electronically. While driver licenses and vehicle registration are handled by the Division of Motor Vehicles, dealer licensing and registration are regulated and enforced by the License and Theft Bureau. You will need to take forms to the appropriate office, or mail them to the following address with any fees due:

  • Division of Motor Vehicles
  • 3129 Mail Service Center
  • Raleigh, NC 27697


Damage Disclosure Statement
Use this form to disclose any damages on a vehicle you plan to sell in North Carolina.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review