Voter Registration in Montana
Voter Registration Made Simple
Your country needs your vote. Here's how to register in Montana.Continue
The Montana Secretary of State (SOS) makes voting easy by allowing eligible Montana residents to register to vote by mail or in person at county elections offices.
If you are applying for or renewing a driver's license or ID card, you can also register to vote at the Montana Motor Vehicle Division (MVD).
Read below for more information about registering to vote in Montana.
Voter Eligibility in Montana
To register to vote in Montana, you must be:
- A United States citizen.
- 18 years old on of before the date of the next election.
- A Montana residentt who has lived in the state for at least 30 days.
Even if you meet the above requirements, you CANNOT register to vote if you:
- Have been determined to be of unsound mind by a court of law.
- Are currently incarcerated for a felony conviction.*
*Upon your release from a penal institution your voting rights are restored and you should re-register to vote.
Register to Vote in Montana
Montana voters can register:
- By mail.
- In person.
Your county election office will verify your registration and send you a confirmation notice. The notice will include your precinct and polling location.
For voter registration by mail:
- Complete the Montana Voter Registration Application.
- Include any of the following for identification:
- MT driver's license or ID number.
- Last 4 digits of your Social Security number.
- A copy of an ID with your photograph and name.
- A copy of a document that shows your name and address, such as a current:
- Bank statement.
- Utility bill.
- Paycheck stub.
- Mail the application to your county elections office.
- Office addresses are provided on the form.
Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.
You can register to vote in person by completing a Montana Voter Registration Application at (or delivering it to):
- Your county elections office.
- Offices are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- A Montana MVD office when you:
If you are currently outside of the state (for example, for work or to attend college), you can register to vote by mail using the instructions above.
If you'll be outside of the state during the election, consider voting absentee. The Montana SOS provides detailed information about how to vote absentee.
If you are from Montana and going to college in a different Montana county, you can register to vote in EITHER:
- The county where you live permanently.
- The county where you attend school.
If you are a student in Montana from outside of the state, you can register to vote in EITHER:
- Montana, if you choose to become a resident and reside in the state for 30 days or more.
- Your home state.
Military & Overseas MT Voters
Military personnel and overseas residents can register using either:
- The Federal Voting Assistance Program.
- The Electronic Absentee System (EAS).
Both will allow you to register AND request an absentee ballot.
NOTE: You must apply for a new absentee ballot every year.
For more information on military and overseas voting, please visit the Montana SOS website.
Federal Post Card Application (FCPA)
To register to vote using the FCPA:
- Complete the Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Request Federal Post Card Application (Form 76)
- Mail, fax, or e-mail the completed application to your county elections office.
You can submit the FCPA any time, even on Election Day.
Electronic Absentee System (EAS)
You can register to vote and vote online using the Electronic Absentee System website starting 45 days before a federal election until 8 p.m. on Election Day.
If the EAS is not available, you can use the FCPA instead.
Deadlines to Register to Vote in MT
To vote in the next election, you must register to vote no later than the 30 days prior to the election by 5 p.m.
If you miss the registration deadline, you can register late in person. Late registration is available:
- At county election offices.
- From 29 days prior to the election until 8 p.m. on Election Day, EXCEPT:
- From 12 p.m. until 5 p.m. the day before Election Day.
NOTE: Late voter registration is NOT offered for some school district elections.
Voter Name and Address Changes
You must submit a new Montana Voter Registration Application if you:
- Move to a new address in your county.
- Move to a new county.
- Change your name.
You can use Montana's My Voter Page to check your voter registration information, including whether you are registered, your polling location, and the status of your absentee ballot (if voting absentee).