Other Licenses & Endorsements in Montana

Special Driver's Licenses in Montana

The Montana Department of Justice (DOJ) Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) offers a few different driver's license classes and endorsements that you may need in addition to your regular driver's license if you want to:

  • Drive heavy commercial vehicles.
  • Transport hazardous materials.
  • Drive a bus.

Depending on which class or endorsement you need, you'll likely need to:

  • Pass a written test.
  • Take a driving test in the type of vehicle you want to drive.
  • Pay additional licensing fees

On this page you'll find some basic details about some of the license classes and endorsements you can obtain in Montana.

For information about obtaining a regular driver's license, please visit our pages on the following topics:

Montana Commercial Driver's License

If you want to drive a heavy-weight vehicle or a vehicle that can carry a large number of passengers, you'll likely need to apply for a commercial driver's license (CDL).

The class of your CDL will depend on the specific type of vehicle you want to drive. To apply for any class, you'll need to provide the Montana MVD with:

  • Proof of your identification.
  • Proof of your Montana address.
  • Proof of your legal presence in the U.S.
  • Proof of your Social Security number.
  • A Department of Transportation medical card.

You'll also likely need to:

  • Pass a specific written knowledge test for the type of CDL class you want.
  • Pass a driving skills test in the type of vehicle you want to drive.
  • Pass additional knowledge/driving tests for the CDL endorsement you want.

For more information about applying for a commercial driver's license, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in Montana page.

MT School Bus Drivers

To qualify as a school bus driver in Montana you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Be of sound moral character.
  • Hold a commercial driver's license (CDL) with an "S" endorsement.
  • Pass a physical examination by a licensed physician.
  • Have a first-aid certificate.
  • Have a bus certificate, issued by a school superintendent, which serves as proof that you meet all of the aforementioned qualifications.

Call the Office of Public Instruction at (406) 444-5644 if you have any further questions.

Shuttle Drivers

A CDL is not required to drive a shuttle van or bus that carries less than 16 passengers, including the driver. Driver requirements are governed by each individual employer.

Chauffeurs & Taxi Drivers in Montana

Montana does not have statewide requirements to operate a taxi. Each municipality governs its own requirements, so contact your city clerk for information.

In general, you should be prepared to:

  • Pay a taxi licensing fee.
  • Pass a criminal background check.
  • Maintain a clean driving record.
  • Complete a taxi driver certification or training course.

Montana Sport Vehicles

Contact the Montana Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) or your city clerk to inquire about specific licensing requirements that might be required by your town or city. For some sport/off-road vehicles, you'll need a motorcycle license or endorsement.

For more information, please visit our Motorcycle License in Montana page.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review