Replacing a Lost Registration in Montana

Replace a Lost Montana Registration

If your Montana vehicle registration, license plate, or license plate decal is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can request a replacement from the Montana Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) Vehicle Services Bureau, which handles vehicle registration and titling.

Replacing a registration card, license plate, or decal does require a trip to your country treasurer's office, as well as a replacement fee.

If you need to replace a vehicle title, see our page Replacing a Lost Title in Montana for more information.

How to Replace a Lost Registration in Montana

Obtaining a duplicate registration receipt is easy.

To get a duplicate registration if yours is lost, stolen, or damaged, you'll just need to go in person to your local county treasurer's office. You'll be asked for your license plate number. You should also bring your driver's license or ID card, which can help the county treasurer locate your account.

If you do not know your license plate number, check your vehicle title, insurance card, or an old registration receipt.

Once your number is confirmed in the file, the county agent will ask for $2 registration replacement fee. You'll leave with a duplicate registration receipt.

Montana law requires you to have your registration receipt with you when operating your vehicle. Don't delay on obtaining a duplicate, as you could be cited or fined.

Replace a MT License Plate or Decal

If your license plate or decal is lost, stolen, or damaged, you'll need to replace it as soon as possible.

The license plate decal is the tiny square sticker that affixes to the back of your license plate indicating that your vehicle registration is current. Without a license plate or decal, you're a police target. So if you lose either the plate or decal, it is in your best interest to replace it as quickly as possible.

To get a replacement license plate or decal, visit your local county treasurer's office with your registration receipt and pay:

  • $10.30 for a replacement license plate with a new number.
  • $15.45 for a duplicate license plate with your current number.
  • $1 for a replacement decal.
  • Fees for special plate or sponsored plates may vary.

You may be able to get a replacement license plate (with a different number) while you wait. Otherwise, ask your county clerk about getting a temporary plate for your car while you wait for your license plate to arrive by mail.

The county clerk will immediately reissue your decal.

Out of State Replacement

If your registration receipt, license plate, or decal are lost, stolen, or damaged while you are temporarily outside of Montana, contact your local country treasurer's office for assistance. You can also contact MVD customer service at (406) 444-3933.

Reporting a Lost or Stolen Registration or Plate

In addition to requesting a replacement registration or license plate from the MT MVD, you may also want to file a police report with your local law enforcement agency.

Filing a police report can protect you in case the lost or stolen items are used to commit fraud, including identity theft, or used illegally on a different vehicle. Having a police report on file can also be helpful in case you are stopped or in an accident while waiting for your replacements.

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through DMV.ORG