Replacing a Lost Title in Montana

Replacing a Lost Title in Montana

The Vehicle Services Bureau of the Montana Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) coordinates the registration and titling of all vehicles in the state, with the exception of pick-up campers that require titles but not registration.

If you lose your title, you'll need to apply for a duplicate. While the urgency factor isn't as severe as losing your license, you will eventually need the title if you plan on selling your vehicle.

You can obtain a replacement certificate of title for the following reasons:

  • Legal name changes.
  • Changes in ownership.
  • Changes in address.
  • Actual errors.

Replacements are also available for a lost vehicle title, a stolen vehicle title, or a damaged vehicle title.

Applying For a Duplicate Title

You can apply to replace a lost title, damaged title or stolen title by mail or in person at your local Montana Title and Registration Bureau office.

If you have questions, you can dial the Vehicle Services Bureau at (406) 444-3661. You also can visit the Treasurer's Office for your particular county for more information and paperwork about ways to replace lost vehicle title.

NOTE: You must make any updates to your license before updating your registration and title. A copy of your Montana driver's license is required if you need to update your personal information on a title. Additional legal documentation is required for a replacement title application due to a name change. See "Name Changes" below.

How to Get Your Replacement Title

To apply for a duplicate MT title, you will need to:

Vehicle Services Bureau
Motor Vehicle Division
Montana Department of Justice
P.O. Box 201431
302 N Roberts
Helena, MT 59620

Do you need a lien added?

If a collateral lien needs be added to the title along with the application to replace title, you'll need to pay an additional $10.30 filing fee.

Purchasing a Vehicle with a Lost Title

If you or the seller can't find any record of the title, you can apply for a bonded title.

You'll first need to discuss the information with your County's Treasurer's Office, and then:

  • Bring proof of ownership plus a completed Vehicle/Vessel/OHV Identification Number Inspection Certificate(Form MV20).
  • Complete an Application for Break/Bond Title (Form MV10) detailing the circumstances of the sale, any liens on it, and estimated value.
  • Secure a bond of surety equal to the value, if the value is over $1000.
    • If the value is $1000 or less, you need to either determine the national average current trade-in price or average appraisal for that type of vehicle, or simply certify the value is $1000 or less.

Next, you will be issued a bonded title. If no claims are made on it within 3 years, you will receive a clear title as an owner.

Making Corrections on Your MT Title

You can make corrections to titles due to errors or inaccuracies by contacting the county treasurer's office in the county where the vehicle is registered in. You can also make changes to your:

Name Changes to Your Title

If you need your replacement title to reflect a new name, you will need to submit:

  • A Statement of Fact (Form MV100) explaining the circumstances of the name change.
  • Pay the $10.30 fee

Once the correct title is issued, you must contact your county treasurer's office to receive updated registration receipts.


Application for Break/Bond Title
Use this MVD form to apply for a Montana title for a vehicle without a title.
Application for Replacement Certificate of Title
Request a duplicate Montana vehicle title from the MVD.
Statement of Facts
Supplementary form used to add or clarify information related to driver and vehicle transactions with the MVD
Vehicle Identification Number Inspection Certificate
If required, submit this vehicle/vessel/off-highway vehicle identification number inspection form to the Montana MVD for title and registration purposes. Must be completed by a certified inspector.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review