Replacing a Lost License in Montana
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
Replacing a Montana Driver's License
Losing your driver's license can be stressful, especially if you've misplaced your wallet or other items along with it. Not only are you required to have your driver's license to operate a vehicle, but you also use your driver's license for identification. In other words, replacing it is essential.
The Montana Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) eases the pain and worry of losing your MT driver's license by allowing you to obtain a duplicate driver's license quickly and easily.
NOTE: If you are in need of replacing your lost or stolen commercial driver's license, please read our page about Replacing a Lost CDL.
Applying for a Duplicate License in Montana
If you need to replace a lost, stolen, or damaged Montana driver's license, you must visit your local MVD driver exam station. You may be able to schedule an appointment with the MVD to save some time and expedite the process.
NOTE: You must be currently out of Montana in order to apply for a replacement driver's license by mail. See "Out-of-State License Replacement" below for details.
You will need to take 2 documents to prove your identity (proof of your legal name and age). You can take:
- 2 documents from the list of primary documents:
- A U.S. or Canadian birth certificate, certified with the registrar's unique seal, signature, and date.
- A valid, unexpired U.S. passport.
- A driver's license with a color photo that has been expired for less than 5 years.
- 1 document from the list of primary documents AND 1 document from the list of secondary documents. Secondary documents include:
- A U.S. Social Security card or Canadian Social Insurance card.
- A certified marriage certificate.
- A Medicaid, Medicare, or health insurance card with your name and insurance ID number.
You will pay a $10 fee to replace your stolen or lost driver's license.
NOTE: For a complete list of acceptable primary and secondary identification documents in Montana, visit the MT Department of Justice website.
Out-of-State License Replacement
Should you lose your license while out of state or out of the country, you must mail the following items to the MVD:
- A completed Application for Replacement Driver License By Mail (Form 21-2000).
- You can also call (406) 444-3933 or e-mail the MVD at firstname.lastname@example.org for the required application. Be sure to include your out-of-state mailing address or fax number.
- Copies of 2 documents for identification purposes (a list of acceptable documents is shown on the application).
- A check or money order payable to "State of Montana" for the duplicate driver's license fee of $10.
- A self-addressed, stamped envelope.
Your duplicate MT driver license will be mailed to you, and you should receive it within 4 weeks. If you're out of the country, you can expedite the process by using overnight mail to return your application.
If you lose your license within 6 months of its expiration date, you are allowed to renew it rather than replace it with a duplicate driver's license. The option is yours.
Reporting a Missing Driver's License
Although you are not required to report a lost or stolen driver's license in Montana, it is a good idea to do so, as it documents the mishap should any person attempt to use the license illicitly, such as for fraud or identity theft.
You should strongly consider contacting your local police station or law enforcement agency for help with reporting your lost or stolen driver's license.