Renewing Your CDL in Montana
Pass Your CDL Written Exam with DMV Cheatsheets!
Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:
- Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
- Study When and Where You Want
- 24/7 Online Access
- Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed
Get Your Test Answers Now!
Don’t risk waiting too long to get your commercial driver’s license (CDL) renewed. The Montana Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) has a few different options for renewing your CDL so read on to find the best option for you.
How to Renew a CDL in Montana
Commercial driver’s licenses need to be renewed every 5 years for drivers between the ages of 21 and 70 years old.*
In Montana, you can either renew your commercial driver’s license:
- By mail.
- In person.
You are able to renew your commercial driver’s license up to 6 months before it expires.
Once your license does expire, you still have 3 months to renew it before you will need to reapply and take the tests again. However, your CDL will not be valid until it is renewed.
* If you are not within this age range, you can take a look at the Montana MVD CDL guide to see how often you will need to renew based on your age.
You can renew your MT commercial driver’s license by mail if you are:
- A Montana resident who is currently out of town and does not plan on being back before the expiration date.
- Living in a county that does not offer driver’s license services.
- NOT renewing a commercial driver license with a HAZMAT endorsement on it*.
Once you verify that you qualify to renew by mail, make sure to have your:
- Completed Mail-in Renewal Commercial Driver License Instructions (Form 21-199A-CDL).
- Copy of your current MEC (DOT medical card).
- Check or money order for the correct amount. See our section on renewal fees for a breakdown of costs.
Send the above items in an envelope to:
Motor Vehicle Division
302 N. Roberts
P.O. Box 2014340
Helena, MT 59620
*NOTE: If you have a HAZMAT endorsement on your CDL, you CANNOT renew through mail unless you are planning on dropping it. To retain your HAZMAT endorsement, you MUST renew in person.
You need to renew your MT commercial driver license in person if you:
- Have a HAZMAT endorsement.
- Plan to renew through a full-service driver’s license exam station.
To renew your license at a rural, limited-service driver’s license exam station, you must:*
- First head to the county treasurer’s office.
- Pay for your CDL renewal fee and receive a pre-paid receipt.
You’ll then take the receipt with you to your renewal appointment at the limited-service exam station.
If you reside in a county that does not offer driver’s license services, you can renew by:
- Going to a full-service driver’s license exam station.
- Going to a limited service exam station.
- Mail—but the next time you renew, it will need to be in person.
*You may need to bring documents proving your name, address, and/or Social Security number. To find out exactly what you need to bring, give your county treasurer’s office a call.
Medical Requirements for a MT CDL
As a commercial driver, it’s important that you keep your Medical Examiner’s Certificate (Form MCSA-5876) current to avoid being downgraded to a standard driver’s license. The MVD has an online portal to check the status of your MEC.
You must submit a copy of your updated MEC to the Montana MVD before your current certificate expires.
You can fax your MEC to (406) 444-1987 and mail it to the address below:
Motor Vehicle Division
Attn: CDL Help Desk
P.O. Box 201430
Helena MT 59620
MT CDL Renewal Fees
The fees for renewing your Montana CDL vary and are based on:
- Length of CDL.
- Whether your license is interstate or intrastate.
Intrastate only licenses have their own set of fees and expiration times. Interstate commercial driver's licenses fees and validity times are:
- 21 to 70 years old valid 5 years: $52.02.
- 71 years old valid 4 years: $41.72.
- 72 years old valid 3 years: $31.42.
- 73 years old valid 2 years: $21.12.
- 74 years old valid 1 year: $10.82.
- 75 years old and older valid 4 years: $41.72.
A motorcycle endorsement will increase the fee.
See the Montana MVD website for the complete chart of commercial driver license fees.