Renewing Your CDL in Montana

Pass Your CDL Written Exam with DMV Cheatsheets!

Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:

  • Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
  • Study When and Where You Want
  • 24/7 Online Access
  • Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed

Things to Know Before Renewing

When a CDL Expires

Montana CDLs expire at different rates depending on the driver's age and type of CDL. Intrastate only licenses have their own set of fees and expiration times. Interstate commercial driver's licenses fees and validity times are:

  • 21 to 70 years old valid 5 years: $52.02.
  • 71 years old valid 4 years: $41.72.
  • 72 years old valid 3 years: $31.42.
  • 73 years old valid 2 years: $21.12.
  • 74 years old valid 1 year: $10.82.
  • 75 years old and older valid 4 years: $41.72.

A motorcycle endorsement will increase the fee.

New State and Federal Requirements

When you renew, you must self-certify your type of vehicle operation with the Montana Department of Justice (DOJ). This means you must self-certify one of the following driving categories:

  • Non-Excepted Interstate
  • Excepted Interstate
  • Non-Excepted Intrastate
  • Excepted Intrastate

If you are subject to medical examiner's certificate (MEC) requirements, you must provide a new copy of your MEC to the Montana Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) before your current medical certificate expires. You can submit by faxing to (406) 444-1987. Or by mailing it to:

  • Motor Vehicle Division
  • Attn: CDL Help Desk
  • P.O. Box 201430
  • Helena, MT 59620

The MVD will notify you if required.

As of January 2015 state and federal presence laws require you to bring your certified birth certificate or U.S. Passport with you to the driver exam station when you are renewing your CDL.

In Person

Most people must renew in person. If your county lacks driver license services, you are allowed to renew by mail. You can do this at any time, starting 6 months before your birthday. If you wait on renewing, your driving privileges will be suspended at midnight on your birthday. You will then have 3 months to renew without having to go through the hassle of testing again.

If you have changed your name since obtaining your current license, you will be required to provide full documentation of name change.

When renewing in person be sure you have your expiring license with you. If you don't, you will be asked to provide proof of identity.

Renewing by Mail

To qualify for the convenience of renewing by mail you must reside in a county that does not offer license services such as Carter, Garfield, Golden Valley, Jefferson, Judith Basin, Madison, Petroleum, Prairie, Treasure and Wibaux counties.

The lone exception to this is if you carry a hazardous materials endorsement. To maintain this endorsement, you are required to pass a hazardous materials knowledge test, have your fingerprints taken, and complete a separate TSA HAZPRINT security application. You can complete this application online through the Transportation Security Administration.

When submitting be sure to include:

Mail to:

  • Montana Department of Justice
  • Motor Vehicle Division
  • 302 N. Roberts
  • P.O. Box 201430
  • Helena, MT 59620


Mail Renewal Application for Commercial Driver License
Renew your commercial driver's license license by mail if you're a Montana resident currently living out-of-state.
Medical Examination Report for Commercial Driver Fitness Determination
Applicants for a Montana CDL must undergo a medical exam and submit this report to the MVD. Report must be completed by a doctor.
Report of Eye Examination
If required by the MVD, complete an eye examination and have this form filled out by a certified eye specialist.

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through DMV.ORG