Moving Out of State in Montana
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
Credits are rarely issued, but policies vary with each county. Call your county treasurer for more specific information.
Surrendering License Plates
You are not required to return your Montana license plates after relocating to another state.
Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.
Things to Do When You Move to a New State
- Make it an easy transition by visiting our New to Your State? section for tips and specific requirements.
- Apply for a new driver's license. After establishing residency, most states require this to be done within the first 30 or 60 days.
- Apply for a new registration. This too must be completed within a set number of days after establishing residency.
- Apply for new license plates. This often coincides with the registration process.
- Apply for a new vehicle title. Unlike the aforementioned, applying for a new title is generally not mandatory. You will need an updated title if you ever sell your vehicle.
- Notify your insurance company of your move and provide a new address.
- Notify your leasing company, if your vehicle is leased.
- Do some research and see if your new state requires special vehicle inspections or emissions tests.