Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in Montana

Scooter Licensing Requirements

Scooters, the gentler versions of born-to-be-wild motorbikes, require Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) attention. Not only do scooters need to be registered and titled, but you, as an operator, must own a motorcycle endorsement.

To qualify for a motorcycle endorsement, you must meet the following:

  • You must be at least 16 years old. Or, if you're only 15 years old, you must have proof of passing a driver's education course approved by the Montana Department of Justice and the Superintendent of Public Instruction.
  • Own a Montana driver's license, or be in the process of obtaining one.
  • Pass a motorcycle knowledge test (written) and a motorcycle road-skills test. You will need to visit a driver exam station for the tests.
  • Pay an annual $0.52 endorsement fee.

Scooter Registration and Titling

The MVD requires scooters, just like motorcycles, to register permanently. To do so you must visit your county treasurer's office. You'll be asked to complete a title application and pay the following fees:

  • Permanent registration fee, street legal: $53.25
  • Permanent registration fee, street-legal/off-highway combination: $114.50
  • Motorcycle Safety Fee: $16
  • Montana Highway Patrol Salary and Retention Fund: $10.30

The Motorcycle Safety fee goes directly into funding motorcycle safety training courses, whereas the Montana Highway Patrol Salary and Retention Fund assists the Highway Patrol in maintaining appropriate manpower numbers.

For questions call the Vehicle Services Bureau at (406) 444-3661.

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review