Other Vehicle Registrations in Montana

SUMMARY: How to Register Other Vehicle Types in Montana

Special vehicles in Montana have their own registration requirements and regulations. Snowmobiles receive a one-time permanent registration, while trailer registrations are based on their size and weight. RV and motorhome registration fees are based on age, and custom-built vehicles must provide proof of ownership for each part of the car.

In Montana, vehicles other than regular cars—including snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), and trailers—need to be registered and/or titled with the Montana Department of Justice (DOJ) Motor Vehicle Division (MVD).

For additional information about registering other vehicles in Montana, visit our other pages:

Snowmobile Registration in Montana

The Montana MVD requires that snowmobiles be permanently registered. This means you pay one flat rate of $60.50 and then never have to worry about annual registration forms and fees, as long as you own the snowmobile.

Snowmobile rental companies are exempt from this rule. Instead, rental snowmobiles can be registered annually for the first 2 years ($40.50 for the 1st year, $20 for the 2nd year), but starting the 3rd year, the snowmobiles must be permanently registered.

To register your snowmobile, bring your registration fee to your local Montana county treasurer's office.

You'll receive a gold registration decal with the word "Perm" (short for permanent) that must be affixed to the left side of the snowmobile's cowl.

Register Your ATV in MT

An ATV, or what is defined in the Montana statute as a quadricycle, requires permanent registration with the MT MVD. If you plan on operating your ATV on any type of public road, including national forest two-tracks, a license plate is also required.

To register your ATV, first decide on which permanent registration fee to pay. Off-highway costs $61.25, whereas street legal/off-highway combined costs $114.50.

Once you have your papers and fees in order, take them to your local county treasurer's office. For more information about what documents you need to register your ATV, contact the Montana MVD.

You must be licensed to drive an ATV on public roads. Children 12 to 16 years old may operate an ATV on public roads, under adult supervision, as long as they have obtained a safety certificate.

For more information about operating ATVs and other off-highway vehicles in the state, visit the Montana State Parks website.

Trailers in Montana

Trailers require permanent registration in Montana. You must visit your county treasurer's office with the appropriate registration fee:

  • If your trailer is less than 6,000 lbs., you'll pay $61.25.
  • If your trailer is 6,000 lbs. or heavier, you'll pay $148.25.

Travel Trailers

To legally operate a travel trailer in Montana, you will need to permanently register it with the MVD. Simply bring the appropriate fee* to your MT county treasurer's office:

  • Trailers under 16 feet long, the fee is $72.
  • Trailers 16 feet long or longer, the fee is $152.

*You may also need to pay additional county fees. Contact your local County Treasurer for more information.

Motorhomes and Recreational Vehicles

If you have a recreational vehicle (RV) or motorhome, be sure to have it registered first before you take it for a drive. You'll need to visit your local MT DMV with payment for the registration fees.

NOTE: Your registration will be valid for 1 year at a time. If your RV is 11 years old or older, you have the option of registering it permanently.

The fee to register your motorhome or RV will be based on the age of your vehicle:

  • Under 2 years old: $282.50.
  • 2 to under 5 years old: $224.25.
  • 5 to under 8 years old: $132.50.
  • 8 years old or older: $97.50.
  • 11 years old or older (permanent registration): $237.50.

You may also need to pay the following additional fees:

  • MT Highway Parol Salary and Retention fee: $10.30.
  • New license plate fee: $12.36.
  • Insurance verification fee (if using existing plates when permanently registering RV): $5.15.

Custom-Built Cars

If you have a custom-built vehicle, you will need to register it by bringing the following documents to your local MT DMV office:

You will also need to pay any applicable fees.

For more information about registering a custom-built car in Montana, contact the MVD.

Moped and Scooter Registration

Mopeds, scooters, and other motor-driven cycles must be registered as motorcycles in Montana.

Vehicles must meet safety standards to be registered and operated on public roads. More details are available on our scooters and mopeds page.


Application for Certificate of Title for a Motor Vehicle
Apply for a new vehicle title with the Montana Motor Vehicle Division.
Fact Sheet
Submit this form to the Motor Vehicle Division when registering a street rod, specially-constructed vehicle, or custom vehicle in Montana.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review