Motorcycle License in Montana
DMV Cheat Sheet - Time Saver
With Motorcycle DMV Cheat Sheets, it's like having the answers before you take the test. Only $9.95!
- Computer, tablet, or mobile phone
- Just print and go to the DMV
- 100% Money Back Guarantee
Montana is the Big Sky state, but it could just as easily be known for its open roads. What better way to enjoy the vistas, fresh air, and cruise-able highways than on a motorcycle?
To drive one in MT, you'll need a motorcycle endorsement on your license, and to get that, you'll need to work with the Montana Motor Vehicle Division (MVD)—a subset of the state Department of Justice (DOJ).
New to Montana
Welcome to Montana! You have 60 days after officially settling in the state to transfer your license to MT—including motorcycle licenses or endorsements.
To do so, visit your local Montana MVD office and:
- Bring proof of your:
- Montana residency.
- Legal presence in the United States.
- The MVD provides a guide to acceptable identification, legal presence, and residency documents.
- Pass a vision test.
Additional fees may be required. Ask the staff at the MVD office for more information.
Retaking your written or behind-the-wheel tests is not required, but is left to the discretion of the Motor Vehicle Division office. Prepare to retake those exams, just in case.
Otherwise, you should be issued your new Montana license and motorcycle endorsement in short order!
How to Get a Montana Motorcycle License
To earn your motorcycle endorsement in Montana, you'll need to:
- Be at least 16 years old.
- You can apply at 15 years old if you pass a DOJ-approved driver education course.
- Have a Montana driver's license.
- Pass the motorcycle written test.
- Complete the on-road motorcycle test.
- Can be waived by passing an approved education course.
- Pay the appropriate motorcycle licensing fees.
Read below to find out more on how to complete these steps.
Motorcycle Permits in Montana
You may never forget how to ride a bike, but it takes time to perfect the art—especially when that bike is attached to a powerful motor.
That's where earning your motorcycle permit comes in.
To do so, make an appointment at your local Montana MVD office, and:
- Bring your Montana driver's license.
- Pass a vision test.
- Pass the written knowledge exam.
- The Motor Vehicle Division has made the written exam not only mandatory, but difficult, in an attempt to lower the number of MT motorcycle fatalities. To pass it on the first try, you might want to check out a practice test.
- Pay the appropriate motorcycle endorsement fee (see below).
Once all of the above is completed, you'll own a brand new Montana motorcycle permit. Congratulations!
Earning a permit is an important step, but, as part of the learning process, it comes with its own set of rules.
Montana motorcycle learner license holders must always practice with a licensed driver who:
- Has a motorcycle endorsement.
- Is in immediate supervision of the practice.
Your MT motorcycle permit will be valid for 1 year. If it expires before you take your motorcycle road test, you will:
- Forfeit your permit fee.
- Need to get a new permit, including:
- Repaying the fee.
- Retaking the written test.
Getting Your MT Motorcycle License
After practicing with your permit and feeling confident to proceed, you can go after your MT motorcycle license.
The only step left in the process is passing your MVD motorcycle road test, although you can skip this exam by successfully passing an MT motorcycle education course.
If you decide to stick with the Motor Vehicle Division, you need to schedule an appointment. Keep in mind that the MVD does not test in inclement weather.
No motorcycle or equipment will be provided for the test. Further, the MVD has a list of requirements that the bike you test on must meet, which you can check out in the Montana motorcycle manual.
After passing the test, you'll be eligible for your official Montana motorcycle endorsement! Check with your MVD office for details on how to turn your successful road test into a new license.
MT Motorcycle Education Courses
The Montana MVD will allow you to waive your road test if you successfully pass an approved motorcycle education course.
Courses are conducted through the Montana Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF). You can find more specific information:
- On the foundation's website.
- By calling (800) 922-2453.
After successfully passing the motorcycle education course, you'll be given a certificate of completion. Bring this with you to the MVD, and walk away with your motorcycle endorsement!
Motorcycle License Fees in MT
The Montana Motor Vehicle Division bases its license fees on:
- How old you are.
- How many years your license is valid.
In general, licenses:
- Cost $5.15 for every year they're valid.
- Can be valid up to 8 years.
A motorcycle endorsement costs an additional $0.52 per year.
The MT MVD has a fee chart detailing exactly how much each driver's license will cost with a motorcycle endorsement, which you can check out for more information.