Drivers in the Military in Montana

Driver's License and Registration Forms

Active duty personnel can take advantage of a few driver-related tasks made easy. For example, you can download any of the following forms from your temporary home, no matter where you are stationed:

More Questions

Do I need a Montana driver's license while on active duty in Montana?

As long as you own a driver's license from another state, and you are not working a second job separate from your military base, you are exempt from having to apply for a Montana driver's license.

Is my spouse required to apply for a Montana driver's license?

Only if she or he decides to work in Montana. After getting hired, she or he will have 90 days to secure a new license.

If I am stationed out of state on active duty while my Montana license expires does this mean I must go through the testing process again when I return?

No. Your Montana license will be honored during your military service and up until 30 days after receiving an honorable discharge.

How do I proceed if I want to renew my Montana license?

If you are stationed in Montana visit any driver exam station. If you are out of state you can e-mail the Montana Motor Vehicle Division at for all the proper forms.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review