License Plates & Placards in Montana

SUMMARY: Montana License Plates

Applying for a license plate simply requires you to register your car. Renewing your license plate can be done online. If you get a new car, you can transfer your plate so that you keep the same license plate number. If you need replacement tags, you must apply in person at a MVD office.

Keep reading for more information about standard license plates and tags in Montana.

Looking for information about disabled parking tags? See our Disability Placards & Plates page for details.

Interested in personalized or special interest plates? Visit our pages for Types of Specialty Plates and Applying for Specialty Plates.

Types of Montana License Plates

Cars, trucks, motorcycles, and other vehicles driven on Montana roads must have license plates issued by the Montana Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) attached to the back and front of the vehicle.

Your license plate must have valid registration decal in the upper right-hand corner.

The MT MVD changes the standard license plate design every 5 years. The most recent plate has a blue background, a white state outline, and white letters and numbers. As of after January 1, 2010 any license plate that is 5 years old or older, or will become 5 years old during the next registration cycle must be replaced.

Several past plate designs are also available. You can choose your design when you register your vehicle.

Other License Plates

The Montana MVD offers vanity and specialty license plates for an additional charge. Several types of plates are available. For application information, see our Applying for Specialty Plates page.

You can apply for disability license plates if you have a qualifying permanent disability. See our Disability Placards & Plates page for more details.

Temporary Tags

When you buy a car from a Montana dealer, you will most likely be issued a temporary registration permit.

The tag is valid for 90 days so that you can drive your vehicle while waiting for permanent license plates.

If you buy a car in private sale, you and the seller will transfer ownership in person at a county treasurer's office, where you can get temporary tags if you need them.

Apply for a License Plate in MT

To apply for a license plate in Montana, you must register your vehicle in person at your county treasurer's office.

The MT MVD requires that you register your vehicle no more than 60 days after becoming a resident.

Visit our vehicle registration page for more information, including forms and fees.

Renew Your Montana License Plates

To renew your plates, you'll simply need to renew your vehicle registration, which can be done either:

  • Every 12 months.
  • Every 24 months.

The MT MVD also offers permanent registration if:

  • Your vehicle is at least 11 years old.
  • Your license plate DOES NOT require re-certification of your qualifications OR additional annual fees.

You will get a new expiration decal for your license plate, which you should attach over the previous decal.

To learn more about renewing your tags, see our Registration Renewal page.

Replace a Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Plate

If your license plate or expiration sticker is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can get a replacement from the MT MVD by going in person to your local county treasurer's office.

You will need to submit a sworn statement and pay a replacement fee:

  • $12.36 for a replacement plate with a new number.
  • $15.45 for a duplicate plate with your current number.
  • $12.36 for a replacement decal for a permanently registered plate.
  • $1 for a replacement decal for standard renewable plates.

Transfer or Surrender Montana Tags

When you buy a new car, you can transfer your license plates only to another car that you own. License plates CANNOT be transferred to the buyer of your old car.

If you request a new license plate design, a personalized plate, or a special plate, you will have to surrender your old plate when you get the new one.

Registration Refunds

Should you surrender your license plates and tags for any reason (such as moving out of state or acquiring new plates for another vehicle), you may be eligible for a refund on the remaining portion of the registration fees paid to the vehicle.

To apply:

  • Complete the Request for Refund (Form MV40).
  • Gather your license plates, tags, and registration card.
  • Deliver or mail the above to:
    • Motor Vehicle Division
    • P.O. Box 201430
    • Helena, MT 59620

Fees for Montana License Plates

The MT MVD charges fees for new and replacement license plates:

  • New standard license plate: $12.36.
  • Replacement:
    • License plate with a new number: $12.36.
    • License plate with your current number: $15.45.
    • Decal for permanently registered plates: $12.36.
    • Decal for renewable plates: $1.

NOTE: The license plate fees above DO NOT include registration fees, which vary by your vehicle's age and your county of residence.

Search for a License Plate

The Montana MVD does NOT offer a free license plate search or a search for personalized plate number options.

However, depending on the type of license plate or vehicle information you need, you can:

  • Contact the police to report an abandoned vehicle or other violation. The police can run the license plate and contact the owner.
  • Order a vehicle history report for information about a car you'd like to buy.


Request for Refund
Use this form to request a refund for driver's license, title, or registration fees incurred by the Motor Vehicle Division if you have legal grounds to do so.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review