DUI Attorneys in MontanaPage OverviewSUMMARY: DUI Attorneys in MontanaKeep reading for more information about DUI attorneys in Montana.
If you're charged with driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or drugs in Montana, you may need to hire a DUI attorney. Since the process is complicated, having a lawyer to advise you on court procedures and DUI penalties could benefit you greatly.
NOTE: The content of this website is intended solely for informational purposes. It is not a source of legal advice and should not be used as such.
There are many considerations to keep in mind while looking for a DUI attorney. The following tips may help you with your decision:
- Ask for suggestions. Your friends or family may have a DUI attorney they've hired before and can recommend.
- Hire a skilled DUI lawyer. You'll need to find an attorney who offers years of expertise in handling DUI/DWI cases.
- Look in your local area. A lawyer who has experience with local Montana courts and law enforcement may increase your chances of a favorable outcome.
- Meet with a few lawyers. Since consultations don't usually cost anything, make appointments with as many DUI attorneys as you can before you make your final decision.
- Find out what you have to pay. Before you commit to hiring a DUI attorney, ask your attorney about his or her fees and payment options.
Keep reading to learn more about attorneys and DUI charges.
Charges Handled by DUI Attorneys
If you were arrested for a DUI in Montana, you likely had a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) in the following range:
- 0.08% or more for most drivers.
- 0.04% or more while driving a commercial vehicle.
- 0.02% or more, if you're younger than 21 years old.
You can also be charged with a DUI for other alcohol-related violations, such as driving with an open alcohol container in your vehicle or refusing to submit to a BAC test.
Since DUI charges are very serious, be sure to hire a DUI attorney who has a positive track record dealing with similar types of cases.
There are a variety of advantages to having a lawyer on your side to contest your DUI charges. A Montana DUI attorney can help by:
- Arguing your DUI case in court.
- Figuring out your best plea option.
- Completing all required court paperwork.
- Explaining to you what to expect during and following the court process.
NOTE: Even though a DUI attorney cannot guarantee a dismissal of your DUI charge, he or she can help to reduce your charges and penalties.
Depending on your circumstances, you could face a range of penalties from both the court and the MT Motor Vehicle Division (MVD). In Montana, DUI penalties vary depending on your age, driving history, and the nature of your charge.
Some of the penalties you'll face may include:
- A suspension of your MT driver's license (suspension periods will vary):
- 1st conviction: 6 months.
- 2nd conviction (within 5 years): 1 year.
- BAC test refusal: 6 months.
- Installation of an ignition interlock device in your vehicle.
- Hefty fines.
- Jail time.
- Participation in the Montana 24/7 sobriety program (requires breathalyzer tests throughout the day).
For more specific details about the penalties you'll face and other information about DUI charges, please visit our DUI & DWI in Montana page.Compare SR-22 Insurance Rates in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:
Related ContentRecommended Articles