Supervised Driving in Montana

Montana Driver's Training

Teenagers applying for their first driver's license in Montana will need to complete supervised driving practice to satisfy the requirements of the graduated driver licensing (GDL) program.

The Montana Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) may also require you to complete a driver's education/driver's training course, which includes behind-the-wheel training.

Both types of supervised driving training will help you gain the experience necessary to pass your driving test and get behind-the-wheel with your first full driver's license.

MT Behind-the-Wheel Requirements

If you are younger than 18 years old, you'll need to complete the following behind-the-wheel requirements of the GDL program:

  • At least 50 hours of supervised driving practice.
  • Driver's training with a driving instructor, if you are younger than 16 years old (as part of a driver's education course).

You can begin the GDL program and supervised driving practice requirements when you are 14 1/2 years old by enrolling in driver's training and applying for a learner's permit.

For more information about applying for a learner's permit and enrolling in driver's education, please visit our pages on those topics:

NOTE: If you are at least 16 years old, you can obtain a learner's permit without taking Driver's Ed/driver's training.

Montana Driver's Training Course

If you are younger than 16 years old, you'll need to enroll in and complete a Driver's Ed program to be eligible for a learner's license.

MT DMV driver's education programs include at least 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training with a driving instructor.

Generally, you'll be able to participate in the driver's training portion of the course after you complete the classroom component.

For more information, please visit the Montana driver’s education and teen driver website.

Supervised Driving Practice in MT

With your learner's permit, you'll be able to complete your supervised driving requirements and develop valuable driving skills that you'll be able to use when you take your road test.

Before advancing from your learner's permit to a first-year restricted driver's license, you'll need to complete at least 50 hours of supervised driving, with at least 10 hours completed at night.

Once you complete your behind-the-wheel driving practice, your parent/legal guardian will need to certify and sign a Graduated Driver Licensing Parent/Legal Guardian Certification (Form 21-1600).

If you hold a regular learner's permit, you can ONLY drive when accompanied by:

  • Your parent/legal guardian.
  • A licensed adult who is at least 18 years old and has permission from your parent/legal guardian.

If you hold a Traffic Education Learner's License (TELL), you must be accompanied by your parent/legal guardian.

Next Steps - Provisional Driver's License

You'll be eligible to take your driving test and apply for your MT provisional driver's license after you:

For more information, please visit our Applying for a New License (Teen Drivers) in Montana page.

Please enter your ZIP code OR city and state abbreviation


Graduated Driver Licensing Parent/Legal Guardian Certification
The legal guardian of a minor applying for a MT driver's license must sign this form certifying the minor has completed the requirements necessary to upgrade their instruction permit, traffic education permit, or traffic education learner license
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review