Disability Plates and Placards in Montana
Types of MT Disability Permits
If you have a disability, the Montana MVD offers several license plates and placards with the wheelchair symbol for handicapped parking access:
- Temporary placards.
- Extended temporary placards.
- Permanent placards.
- Permanent disability license plates.
A placard or license plate can ONLY be used by the person it's issued to. Using a placard or plate that is not yours is illegal.
To receive a disability placard or plate:
- You must have a qualifying disability from the list on the permit application. (See “Apply for Disability Parking in MT" below.)
- Your disability must be certified by a medical professional.
MT Visitors with Disabilities
If you are traveling from another state into Montana, you can use your home state handicapped placard or license plate since Montana recognizes permits from all other states.
Apply for Disability Parking in Montana
You can apply for a placard or license plate by:
You will need:
- A completed Disability Permit/License Plate Application (Form MV5), which must be certified and signed by any of the following:
- Licensed physician.
- Physician's assistant.
- Advanced practice registered nurse.
- Payment for the applicable fees:
- Placards: free.
- License plates: Standard registration fee.
Submit the application form and payment to the Montana MVD by:
- E-mail to mtDriverHistory@mt.gov.
- Fax to (406) 444-3816.
- Mail to:
Motor Vehicle Division
P.O. Box 201430
Helena, MT 59620
Renew MT Handicap Placards & Plates
Disability placards and license plates are valid for various periods of time:
- A temporary disability placard is issued for up to 6 months.
- An extended temporary placard is issued for up to 24 months.
- A permanent placard is valid for 3 years.
- A handicap license plate is valid for the duration of your vehicle registration.
Temporary disability placards are NOT renewable. If you need your permit past its expiration date, you must apply for a new one. See “Apply for Disability Parking in Montana" above for information.
To renew your MT permanent disability placard, you must:
- Complete the Disability Permit/License Plate Application (Form MV5), including the medical certification section.
- Submit the form by e-mail, fax, or mail. Contact information is listed on the form.
To renew your handicapped license plate, simply renew your vehicle registration.
Replace a Disability Placard or Plate
If your disability placard or license plate is lost, stolen, or damaged, contact the Montana MVD at (406) 444-3933 or email@example.com to learn more about getting a replacement.
Disability Permit/License Plate Application
Use this form to request a specialized parking permit and a set of license plates if you have a disability. You may only apply for the license plates if you own a vehicle.
|Download Open the form|