Change of Address in Montana

SUMMARY: How to Change Your Address in Montana

You must visit your local MT MVD office in person to change your address on your driver’s license or ID card. If you would like an updated card, you'll need to pay for a replacement. If you own a vehicle, you can wait until you renew your registration to change your address. If you have moved to a new county in Montana, you'll need to inform your new county of your address.

Continue reading this page to learn how to change your address with the Montana Motor Vehicle Division (MVD).

NOTE: Don't forget to change your address on your voter registration and organ donor information. Visit our Voter Registration and Organ Donation pages for more information.

MT Driver's License/ID Card Address Change

When you change your address in Montana, you must notify the MVD within 10 days or risk losing your driver's license.

To change your address on your MT MVD records, mail a completed Change of Driver License Address (Electronic Record) (Form 34-0300) to the address on the form.

If you'd like an updated Montana driver's license or ID card showing your new address, you'll need to apply for a replacement by visiting your local MT MVD office and paying the replacement fee.

For more information, visit our Replacing a Lost License page or our Identification Cards page.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Car Registration & Title Address Change

If you've moved to another county in Montana, you can wait until your registration is due for renewal to inform your new country treasurer's office of your new address.

Visit our Registration Renewal page for more information.

NOTE: If you have a permanently registered vehicle, you do not need to change your address on your registration.

If you'd like replacement vehicle documents that show your new address, you can order duplicate copies. Visit our following pages for more information:

New Montana Residents

If you're new to Montana, you'll only have a limited amount of time to complete your tasks with the MVD before you risk being penalized.

  • Register your out-of-state car and apply for a MT title certificate: 60 days.
  • Transfer your out-of-state driver's license: 60 days.
  • Transfer your commercial driver's license (CDL): 30 days.

To complete these tasks, you'll need to visit your local MT MVD office in person, provide various documents, and pay the required fees. More information, including application instructions and fees, can be found on these pages:

Change Your Name in Montana

If you've recently been married, divorced, or had your name changed for any other reason, you'll need to change your name on your MT MVD documents.

You must visit your local Montana MVD office with proof of your name change and payment for the required fee/s. Accepted documents include your:

  • Marriage certificate.
  • Divorce decree.
  • Court order.

Our Changing Your Name in Montana page has more information on this topic.


Change of Driver License Address Electronic Record
Notify the MVD of a change of address to be reflected in the MVD's electronic records. Form CANNOT be used to request an update to the address on your physical Montana driver's license/ID card—such requests must be made in person at a MVD driver licensing office.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review