Voter Registration in Mississippi

Attention: Voter information and identification requirements may change prior to an election. Please check the Secretary of State website to make sure you have the most current information.

To participate in Mississippi elections, you must register to vote through the Mississippi Secretary of State (SOS) at a county circuit clerk office, or other state and federal government agencies.

You may also obtain a voter registration form and register to vote through the Mississippi Department of Public Safety (DPS) when applying for a driver's license.

Voter Eligibility in Mississippi

You must meet the following requirements to qualify for voter registration in Mississippi:

  • Be a U.S. citizen.
  • Be at least 18 years old by the next general election.
  • Be a resident of Mississippi and your county for at least 30 days.
  • NOT declared mentally incompetent by a court.
  • NOT convicted of a specific type of felony.

Register to Vote in Mississippi

In Mississippi, you can register to vote by mail and in person.

Just submit a completed Mississippi Voter Registration Application to the office of your local county circuit clerk or Mississippi DPS office when completing a driver's license transaction.

If you're registering for the first time by mail and do not have a driver's license or Social Security number, you must enclose:

  • A copy of your current and valid photo identification.
  • A copy of your current utility bill, bank statement, or paycheck.

Once your application is processed, you'll receive a voter identification card.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

MS Military & Overseas Voter Registration

If you are currently on active military duty or residing overseas, you can submit your voter registration through the Federal Voting Assistance Program.

Just complete a Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Request Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) (Form 76) and return it to your local circuit clerk.

You can use your FPCA to request absentee ballots while you are out of state. You will need to re-submit an FPCA every year and every time you change your address. For more information, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program website.

NOTE: If you are a spouse or dependent of an out-of-state military member, you can also register to vote using an FPCA.

Other Absentee Voters

You may be eligible to cast an absentee ballot even if you aren't military or overseas. You will still need to register to vote using the standard procedure. Contact your local Circuit or Municipal Clerk for information about receiving an absentee ballot.

Deadline to Register to Vote in MS

You must register to vote at least 30 days before the next election. If you register to vote by mail, your application must be postmarked at least 30 days prior to the election you wish to vote in.

To verify your voter registration in MS, contact your local county registrar's office directly.

To find your polling place, use the online Mississippi Polling Place Lookup tool at the Secretary of State webpage.

Change Your Voter Name or Address

To update your name or address on your MS voter registration, you must re-submit the Mississippi Voter Registration Application to the office of your county circuit clerk.

If you are a military member or overseas Mississippi resident, you can also change your information through the Federal Voting Assistance Program. See Military & Overseas Voter Registration above.

Mississippi Voter ID Laws

On Election Day, you will be required to show photo identification at the polling place before you can vote.

If you cannot show your photo ID when requested, you must cast an affidavit ballot and return within 5 days with appropriate identification.


Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Request Federal Post Card Application
If you're a U.S. citizen living out of your voting jurisdiction, use this form to register to vote AND/OR request an absentee ballot.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review