Other Vehicle Registrations in Mississippi

SUMMARY: How to Register Your Special Vehicle in Mississippi

Most other vehicle types are still registered in the same manner as standard cars or trucks in Mississippi. You may need to complete some additional processes first, such as obtaining a VIN for a custom-built car. Other vehicles, like all-terrain vehicles, don't require registration at all. Be prepared to pay different or higher fees depending on the type and weight of the vehicle you're registering.

In Mississippi, passenger cars, motorcycles, and light trucks aren't the only vehicles that the Department of Revenue (DOR) requires you to register. Depending on your vehicle specifications, you may also need to register/title your trailer, motorhome, or recreational vehicle (RV).

NOTE: It is against the law to operate the following special vehicles on any Mississippi highway (including interstate) and within the city limits (unless authorized):

  • All-terrain vehicle (ATV).
  • Utility vehicle.
  • Golf cart.
  • Motorized scooter.
  • Mini-bike.
  • Dirt bike.
  • Go-kart.
  • Motor-assisted bicycle.

ATVs and Dirt Bikes in Mississippi

If you have an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) or dirt bike, the Mississippi DOR does not require it to be titled or registered in the state. You can however, have your ATV titled if you wish. The benefit of titling your ATV is that there will never be confusion over its ownership, which may come in handy if you ever wish to sell it.

Remember to follow the rules and regulations when operating your off-road vehicle in Mississippi. You cannot operate your ATV or dirt bike:

  • On any public property (including roads and highways) without a valid MS driver's license or off-road vehicle safety course certificate.
  • If you have passengers who are minors and aren't wearing helmets.

Failure to comply with the state's regulations can result in a fine.

For more information about the laws relating to operating ATVs and other off-road vehicles in Mississippi, see the state law.

Mississippi Trailers

All trailers must be registered, tagged, and titled if you're a Mississippi resident. Follow the procedures for titling and registering a car.

If you have a boat trailer, see "Register Your Boat in MS" below.

Custom-Built Cars

Before you can have your custom-built car registered in Mississippi, you'll need to apply for a vehicle identification number (VIN). Submit a completed Application for Assigned Mississippi Vehicle Identification Number (Form 78-017) to the Mississippi DOR. You'll also need to have your custom car inspected by a state trooper.

Once you have your VIN, you'll be able to register and title your car. See our MS Vehicle Registration and Title Transfers pages for details.

Register Your Boat in MS

If you want to operate your boat in Mississippi, you must have it titled and registered with the Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks. For more information, see our Boat Registration & Licenses in Mississippi page.

NOTE: Boat trailers are only required to be titled in MS if they are more than 5,000 lbs. gross vehicle weight. If your boat trailer weighs under 5,000 lbs., it's up to you whether you want to have it titled or not.

Motorhomes and RVs

If you have a motorhome or recreational vehicle (RV), with a GVW (gross vehicle weight) over 10,000 lbs which travels only in Mississippi, you will register the vehicle at your local county Tax Collector's office. For motorhomes and RVs with a GVW over 10,000 lbs which travels across other states, you will need to register the vehicle at the Department of Revenue office in Clinton, Mississippi.‚Äč

Registering your motorhome is a similar process to registering a car. Visit our Register Car in Mississippi page for more information.

Mississippi Motorized Scooters

Depending on the type of motorized bicycle or scooter you own, you may need to have it titled and registered in Mississippi. If it has a model year of 1980 or newer, your vehicle must have a vehicle identification number (VIN) meeting national standards.

It must also have a decal or license plate with a statement attached stating the vehicle meets Federal Safety Standards.

If your scooter doesn't meet the national standards, it cannot be titled or registered with the MS DOR and you will not be permitted to ride it on any public roads (including highways) in the state.

For more information about registering motorized bicycles and scooters, contact the Mississippi Department of Revenue.


Application for Assigned Vehicle Identification Number
Request a new vehicle identification number (VIN) from the MS DOR if the current VIN is altered, missing, or destroyed. Requires notarization.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review