Defensive Driving in Mississippi
On this page you'll find general information about traffic school and where to look for more information.
Taking Defensive Driving in Mississippi
Depending on your driving history and personal circumstances, you may be able to take Mississippi traffic school to:
- Dismiss a traffic ticket.
- Avoid driving record points.
- Avoid increased car insurance rates.
- Earn an insurance discount.
Your eligibility will be determined based on your traffic offense, your driving record, or the requirements of your insurance company.
Generally, you'll have the option of completing Mississippi defensive driving online or in the classroom.
For more information about traffic schools in Mississippi available to you:
- Look up traffic schools or driving schools in your phone book.
- Contact the Mississippi DMV.
- Contact your traffic court.
- Contact your car insurance provider.
Dismiss Traffic Tickets and Driving Record Points
If you've been charged with a minor traffic offense, you may be able to complete a defensive driving course to avoid points being added to your driving record.
Your eligibility to dismiss a ticket or use traffic school to satisfy a judgment will be determined by your court or the Mississippi DPS. They will make their decision based on your personal driving history.
If eligible, the court/DMV will usually give you details about:
- Which course you must complete.
- Your deadline to finish the course.
- Additional fees and documents you'll need to submit.
If you are not able to dismiss your traffic ticket, the Mississippi DPS may add points to your driving record. Too many driving record points could lead to a driver's license suspension.
If your driver's license is suspended, you'll likely need to pay additional fines and submit clearance documents to satisfy your reinstatement requirements.
For more information, please visit our pages on the following topics:
Earn a Defensive Driving Car Insurance Discount
If you take a defensive driving/accident prevention course voluntarily, you may be able to earn a discount on your auto insurance.
Older and teen drivers are often granted a defensive driving discount for completing a course; however, drivers of all ages may be eligible.
Please contact your insurance provider for more information.
What is a Mississippi Defensive Driving Course?
Generally, traffic school/defensive driving programs in Mississippi will be broken down into several topics, such as:
- Defensive driving tips.
- Mississippi traffic laws.
- Major and minor traffic violations and their consequences.
- Safe driving attitudes and behaviors.
- What to do in emergency situations.
- Sharing the road with other Mississippi motorists.
Your course can last anywhere from 4 to 12 hours. If you complete an online defensive driving course, you'll have the convenience of completing your course at your own pace.
The cost and specific details of your traffic school will be determined by your course provider; please contact them directly for more information.
To successfully complete the program, you'll likely need to pass a final exam. Many defensive driving schools will give you multiple attempts to earn a passing score.
Once you pass the exam, your course provider will usually present you with a completion certificate, which you may need to submit to:
- The Mississippi Department of Public Safety (DPS).
- Your traffic court.
- Your car insurance provider.