Commercial Driver FAQs in Mississippi

I am interested in a job that requires a Commercial Driver's License. What's the best way to learn about operating a commercial vehicle?

Pick up a Professional Driver's Manual from your local driver's license office. Study it, then take written tests for the type of commercial vehicle you expect to drive on the job. Upon passing the written tests, you will be issued a learner's permit. You can then enroll in a trucking school, or driver's education class to get behind-the-wheel experience. If you prefer to bypass schooling, you can schedule an appointment with a driver's license office that offers CDL testing to take the driving portion.

What are endorsement codes and do I need them on my CDL? How do I get them?

Mississippi makes the following designations for commercial vehicles; the endorsement classes are listed in parentheses. If you will be driving any of the vehicles described below, you will need to take the required tests, written and driven, to get these endorsements on your license:

  • Double or Triple Trailers (T)
  • Passenger: for vehicles carrying 16 passengers or more, or transporting children to and from school regularly for compensation (P)
  • Tank Vehicles: for vehicles hauling liquids or liquefied gases in bulk (N)
  • Hazardous Materials: carrying amounts requiring a placard. (hazmat)
  • Special code for Tanks (N): carrying hazardous materials (X)

I'm 19. Can I be a commercial driver?

Drivers between the ages of 17 years old and 21 years old can apply for a restricted CDL. Upon passing the written and driving tests, you will be issued a CDL that allows you to drive within the state's borders only. There are only two restrictions for young drivers: you cannot drive a hazmat vehicle, or carry a (T) endorsement (double or triple trailers).

I haul hazardous materials and its time to renew my license. Am I required to go through a background and fingerprint check?

All hazmat drivers must now undergo a fingerprint and background check when obtaining or renewing their CDL. You can also take care of this business online through the Transportation and Security Administration.

Do I need an appointment and my own vehicle to take the driving test?

Yes. You will need to make an appointment to take your CDL driving test. Look for the closest driver's license office that offers CDL testing and call to make an appointment. You can also schedule an appointment online.

You will need to furnish your own vehicle for the test and also show proof of insurance; in many cases you can rent a vehicle or borrow one from your driving school.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review