Car Registration in Mississippi

SUMMARY: How to Register Your Vehicle in Mississippi

To register your car with the MS DOR, you'll need to go in person to your local tax collector's office with your vehicle title, driver's license, an odometer reading, your VIN, and payment for your registration fee. Certain car owners will then need to have the vehicle inspected after it is registered. You can transfer a specialty plate and registration from one vehicle to another, but standard plates cannot be transferred.

Mississippi license plates are required for all new residents and newly purchased vehicles. Below you'll find information you need to help with the Mississippi vehicle registration process.

If your vehicle is already registered in Mississippi, visit our Registration Renewals page for information on keeping your MS registration current.

New to Mississippi?

Upon establishing residency, you have 30 days to apply for a MS vehicle registration certificate with the Department of Revenue. Failing to meet this timeframe could result in a $250 fine.

To register, visit your county's tax collector's office with:

  • State-issued photo identification.
  • Your car's title. If there's a lien, provide the name and address of lien holder.
  • Your current out-of-state registration.
  • An odometer reading.
  • Payment to cover MS vehicle registration fees (see “Mississippi Vehicle Registration Fees" below).

Unlike most states, proof of car insurance is not required when applying for MS car registration.

You will also complete a Title/Registration application while registering. This form is only available from the tax collector's office; it cannot be downloaded.

Registering a Vehicle in Mississippi

Make sure you have an active car insurance policy when registering your vehicle.

Compare rates and buy your policy online: Visit the Insurance Center >>

Vehicles Purchased from a Dealership

If you purchase a new or used vehicle from a dealership, the dealer will submit your title and registration forms for you. It's always wise to confirm before exiting the dealership that this arrangement is in place.

Temporary Vehicle Tags

If you buy a vehicle – new or used – from a MS dealership, you may buy a temporary tag, or what is also called a drive out tag. This can only be purchased from the dealership you also purchased the vehicle from. Temporary tags are valid for 7 business days.

Vehicles Purchased from a Private Party

If you purchase from a private party, you're responsible for handling the registration. You must register the vehicle within 7 business days of the purchase date, if you purchased the vehicle in a different county from your county of residence you have an additional 48 hours to transport your vehicle.

To register, visit your county tax collector's office with:

  • State-issued photo identification.
  • The car's signed-over title.
  • An odometer reading (only if purchased in another state).
  • The car's vehicle identification number (VIN). This is used to help calculate taxes.
  • Payment to cover MS vehicle registration fees (see “Mississippi Vehicle Registration Fees" below).

Proof of car insurance is not a MS car registration requirement though you are required to carry vehicle insurance.

NOTE: If the vehicle is gifted to you, there are no additional requirements to follow during registration. Learn more about this on our Mississippi Title Transfers page.

Transferring a Vehicle Registration

Standard License Plates

Standard Mississippi license plates belong to both the vehicle and the owner. If one separates from the other, the license plates become invalid. This means you cannot transfer standard plates from one vehicle to another.

If you sell a vehicle you must remove the plates and surrender them to your local county tax collector.

Specialty License Plates

You may transfer specialty license plates provided the other vehicle is in your name and of the same type (you can't, for example, transfer a passenger vehicle plate to a motorcycle).

To transfer the plate, visit your local tax collector office with:

  • The license plate.
  • Your vehicle title.
  • Your Mississippi driver's license.
  • Payment to cover registration fees (see “Mississippi Vehicle Registration Fees" below).

Military & Non-Resident Vehicle Registration

Military Members

Military Residents Stationed In State

Mississippi does not offer any vehicle registration exemptions or waivers for most resident military members residing in the state.

Disabled veterans are the lone exception. The state waives ad valorem and privilege taxes on Disabled Veterans plates. To qualify for this plate you must:

  • Be 100% disabled.
  • Provide verification from the Veteran's Affairs Board.

Give documentation of your disability to the clerk when registering your vehicle, and request Disabled Veteran plates in lieu of standard Mississippi license plates.

MS Military Stationed Out of State

The state does not offer any registration exemptions or grace periods for resident military members while stationed out of state. If your MS plates are due to expire, you may have someone other than yourself renew them for you.

For more information on renewing plates, visit our Registration Renewal page.

Non-Resident Military in Mississippi

If you're an out-of-state military member stationed in Mississippi, you do not have to obtain Mississippi license plates. This also applies to your dependents.

If you decide to register your vehicle in Mississippi, you will be exempt from paying ad valorem taxes. To qualify:

  • Follow the same steps described in “New to Mississippi" above.
  • Provide an additional “Letter of Domicile" from your military base's legal office.

MS Vehicle Registration for Non-Residents

You do not have to apply for a Mississippi vehicle registration certificate if you're an out-of-state student studying at a Mississippi college or university.

If you're a non-resident working in Mississippi, you must obtain MS license plates if:

  • You maintain a house or apartment in the state.
  • You register to vote in Mississippi.

Vehicle Registration Fees

MS vehicle registration fees are based on the vehicle's model year, your county of residence, and other individual factors. Some of the base fees and taxes are listed below, but you will need to contact your local tax collector office to determine your specific rate.

  • Passenger vehicle registration fee: $14.
  • MS Road and Bridge Privilege Tax rates:
    • Passenger vehicles: $15.
    • Pickup trucks: $7.20.
    • Motorcycles: $8.

You'll also be charged ad valorem, sales, and use taxes. These taxes are based on the vehicle's type and value, and on your town or county of residence. For help in determining these taxes, contact your county tax collector.

Obtain a Duplicate MS Vehicle Registration

If you lose your registration certificate, or it is damaged or stolen, you must replace it immediately. Driving without one could lead to a citation if stopped.

To replace, visit your county tax collector office with:

  • Your MS driver's license.
  • Payment to cover any applicable replacement fee. Call before visiting to determine what your fee may be.

Mississippi Vehicle Inspections

Mississippi requires a safety inspection only on vehicles that have tinted windows. If your car has tinted windows, contact the Department of Public Safety (DPS) to find an inspection station near you:

  • (601) 987-1243.
  • (601) 487-7070.

After passing the inspection, you'll be given a certificate of inspection, which must be displayed on lower left-hand corner of your vehicle's windshield.

Mississippi License Plates

When applying for a Mississippi vehicle registration certificate, you'll be given a wide option of license plates to choose from, including standard plates, vanity or personalized plates, and specialty plates.

Jump over to our License Plates & Placards page for detailed information on your plate options and fees.

Replace Lost Mississippi License Plate

If your license plate is lost, stolen, or damaged to the extent that it's illegible, you're responsible for replacing it immediately. To replace:

  • Obtain a Lost or Stolen Tag form (Form 76-903) from your county tax collector. This form cannot be downloaded.
  • Have local enforcement complete the form.
  • Return to your county Tax Collector's office with the completed form.
  • Pay the $10 license plate fee and $2.50 decal fee.

Registering a Non-Operational Vehicle

Should your plates expire while your vehicle is not in use, you will be charged registration renewal late fees unless you can prove the vehicle had been non-operational. A storage receipt, for example, would suffice as proof.

If you can't provide proof, it's best to renew the plates regardless, even if you have no plans to drive the vehicle in the immediate future.

Learn more about renewals on our Registration Renewal page.


Affidavit For Support of Credit (Application for Replacement Tag and/or Decal)
Request replacement Mississippi registration tags and/or decals OR credit for tags/decals on a vehicle you no longer own. Must be notarized.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review