Lemon Law in Mississippi
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
Mississippi has a consumer protection law that protects consumers who buy faulty products. The Mississippi Office of the Attorney General is a great starting point if you have a purchased what could be classified as a "lemon" car.
Mississippi Lemon Law Criteria
The Mississippi lemon law protects you if you've purchased a new vehicle that has a defect that either:
- Impairs its normal functions.
- Makes it unsafe to drive.
- Impacts the resale value of the vehicle.
Your vehicle is protected under the lemon law for the first 12 months after your purchase if it is still under the manufacturer's warranty.
Before you can take any legal action or receive a refund, you'll need to allow the manufacturer a reasonable number of attempts to fix the defect.
You'll need to send a written final repair notice by certified mail to the manufacturer if:
- Your vehicle can't be fixed after 3 attempts.
- Your vehicle has been in the shop for at least 15 days.
You are eligible to request your refund or replacement vehicle if:
- The manufacturer fails to respond to your final request within 10 days.
- The repairs cannot be made within 10 days after the final repair attempt begins.
For more information, please refer to the Consumer Guide to Mississippi's Lemon Law provided by the attorney general's office.
Filing a Mississippi Lemon Law Complaint
When you have determined that you may have purchased a lemon and have not been satisfied with the response from the manufacturer, you'll need to submit a complaint form to the Consumer Protection Division. Once you complete this form, attach copies of all your documentation and mail them to:
Consumer Protection Division
P.O. Box 22947
Jackson, MS 39225
Call (601) 359-4230 or (800) 281-4418 with any questions or concerns. This office will investigate your claim and possibly act as a mediator in resolving the dispute. It will not, and cannot, act as your attorney, so it would be wise for you to consult with an attorney if you do not get satisfaction from your original complaints.
If you wish to file a lawsuit or want legal advice, you should contact an attorney.
NOTE: You must try to settle your dispute with the vehicle manufacturer's informal dispute program, if it has one, before trying to settle the matter in court.
Hiring a MS Lemon Law Attorney
If you need to hire a lemon law attorney in Mississippi, you may not be sure where to start.
The questions below can help you find a lawyer who's right for you:
- Learn about their experience.
- Has the attorney handled lemon law or consumer protection cases previously?
- Do they have special knowledge or experience with auto industry or lemon law cases specific to Mississippi?
- Get recommendations.
- Can friends, family, or colleagues recommend any lemon law attorneys?
- Do you know other types of lawyers who can recommend a lemon law lawyer?
- Ask about fees and other costs.
- What are the lawyer's fees? When are the fees due?
- What other costs may you face?
Schedule a consultation with a few different attorneys to learn more about their experience, fees, and ability to handle your case.
Benefits of Lemon Law Attorneys
You may hire a lemon law lawyer to help with any number of things, from negotiating with the manufacturer directly to representing you in court.
You may decide to hire a Mississippi attorney just to give you some basic legal advice, or you may want a lawyer who will handle every step of the process on your behalf.
Some people hire an attorney simply because the paperwork, documentation, and communication required in a lemon law case are time-consuming and a lemon law attorney can help ease the stress.
Whatever your legal needs, hiring a lemon law attorney can help you feel more confident that your case is being handled responsibly.