Traffic Ticket FAQ in Missouri

What is the Fine Collection Center (FCC) ?

The Fine Collection Center (FCC) handles all non-criminal Missouri traffic tickets. All payments and plea submissions are handled by the FCC.

How will I be notified if I plead "not guilty" with the FCC?

The FCC will forward your "not guilty" plea to the county or municipal court from where you were ticketed. The court will then notify you by mail of your court date.

Can the FCC reduce charges or dismiss a traffic ticket?

No. The FCC holds no bargaining power. It only handles traffic fine penalties and notifies presiding courts of "not guilty" pleas.

What do I do if I've lost my traffic ticket?

Read what to do in our Lost Traffic Ticket section.

Will I receive points on my driving record if I plead guilty?

Points will be added to your driving record if you're convicted of a traffic violation. The exact number of points added will be determined by the infraction. The more serious the infraction, the higher the number of points.

Can I get points removed from my driving record?

You may have points removed by completing a Driver Improvement Program (DIP). The course must be state-approved. Learn more in our Defensive Driving page.

At what point amount will the Department of Revenue (DOR) suspend my Missouri driver's license?

The MO DOR will suspend your Missouri driver's license if you accumulate 8 points or more within a period of 18 months. If you accumulate 12 points in 12 months your driving privileges will be revoked for 1 year.

Why should I check my driving record?

Always check your driving record after a ticket violation for accuracy. Additional violations could increase your car insurance rates and/or get you one step closer to suspension of your Missouri driver's license.

What happens if I don't respond to my citation within 30 days?

The DOR will suspend your Missouri driver's license. In extreme situations, the presiding court may issue a bench warrant for your arrest.

What happens if I have a scheduling conflict with my court date?

Call the presiding court as soon as possible to request a continuance. Most courts will honor your request if you provide enough advance notice. You can also inquire with the court about having a traffic ticket attorney stand in for you.

What are my plea options when I appear in court?

You must either plead "guilty" or "not guilty." You cannot plead "no contest" in a Missouri court.

Should I hire a traffic ticket attorney?

If you decide to fight a traffic ticket, legal counsel might improve your chances for receiving a favorable decision. Reduced charges or a dismissed ticket may spare you from losing your driving privileges and from a costly jump in your car insurance rates.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review