Other Licenses & Endorsements in Missouri
Pass Your CDL Written Exam with DMV Cheatsheets!
Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:
- Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
- Study When and Where You Want
- 24/7 Online Access
- Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed
Get Your Test Answers Now!
To legally operate vehicles for personal use in the state of Missouri, drivers must possess a Class F license. However, in order to operate a vehicle for employment, a special license may also be required.
Special licenses in the state of Missouri include:
- A commercial driver's license (CDL).
- Class A.
- Class B.
- Class C.
- A Class E license.
- Also known as a “for-hire" or "chauffeur" license.
Commercial Driver's Licenses
In the state of Missouri, you may be required to possess a commercial driver's license (CDL) to operate some commercial vehicles. Which classification of CDL you are required to apply for will depend on the type of vehicle you intend to operate. For details, visit our page on CDL Classifications.
Examples of vehicles that may require a CDL license in Missouri to operate include:
- School buses.
- City buses.
- Tour buses.
- Tractor trailers.
- Some delivery trucks.
- Construction vehicles.
- Vehicles transporting hazardous materials.
Class E Driver's Licenses
To operate a vehicle for pay in the state of Missouri, a Class E license may be required. The MO Class E driver's license is commonly known as a chauffeur license. You may need this license if you drive a motor vehicle for employment purposes that fits any of the following criteria:
- Carries 14 passengers or less.
- Transports property or goods.
- Belongs to another person or company.
- Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,000 lbs. or less AND doesn't carry hazardous materials.
Individuals who may need to obtain a Class E license include:
- Delivery drivers, such as:
- Food delivery persons.
- Floral van drivers.
- UPS or Fed Ex employees.
- Daycare employees.
- Uber or Lyft drivers.
- Limo drivers.
- Taxi drivers.
- Shuttle drivers.
- School buses.
- Will require an S endorsement on your Class E license.
- May require an additional road skills test.
Applying for a Class E Driver's License
To obtain a Class E special license—chauffeur license—in Missouri, you'll need to be at least 18 years old*. Visit your local DMV and:
- Pass the Class E written examination.
- Questions are taken from the Missouri commercial driver's handbook.
- Includes a road signs test.
- Take a vision test.
- Take a behind-the-wheel driving test IF you do not already possess a standard Missouri Class F driver's license.
- If you already hold a MO driver license, another driving test is not required.
- Pay the applicable fee:
- License valid up to 3 years: $17.50.
- License valid up to 6 years: $35.
- Applicants 70 years old or older WITH an S endorsement: $7.50.
- Valid for 1 year.
* NOTE: If you are under 21 years old at the time you apply, you must also meet the appropriate GDL requirements under Missouri's graduated licensing (GDL) laws for teen drivers in order to be granted full driving privileges.