Replacing a Lost Registration in Missouri

Duplicate Registration, License Plates, and Stickers in Missouri

If your license plates, registration documents, or license plate stickers are lost, stolen, or damaged beyond recognition, you should request replacements with the Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR) as soon as you are able.

If you are pulled over by a law enforcement officer for a traffic violation and you are not able to present your current registration certificate, you may face fines and penalties on top of the ones you may face for your initial traffic violation. If you drive around or park on public roadways in Missouri without your license plates or current registration stickers attached to your vehicle, you may also be at a high risk of receiving traffic tickets and fines.

Damaged registration documents, stickers, and license plates are just as bad a missing ones. If a law enforcement officer can't read what is on your certificate or plate, you could receive tickets and fines.

On this page you'll find a basic overview of the steps you may need to take to request replacement registration certificates, stickers, and license plates in Missouri.

If you have specific questions about your vehicle registration, please contact the Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR).

Lost Registration Receipts in Missouri

Sometimes it's tough to keep track of your registration receipt. If you need a duplicate because you've lost yours, you'll need to contact your local Missouri Department of Revenue office for an application. Complete the replacement application, and the Missouri DMV will issue you a new registration receipt for $12. You'll need to pay with a check made out to the Missouri Department of Revenue.

If you're out of state and need a new registration receipt, call (573) 526-3669 to have an application sent to your out-of-state address. Unfortunately, these forms are carbon-copied, and cannot be downloaded from the Missouri DMV's website.

Lost Missouri License Plates and Stickers

To replace your Missouri license plates and/or license tabs that are lost, stolen, or damaged, you can visit your local Missouri DMV office in person with:

  • A completed Application for Replacement Plate(s)/Tab(s) (Form 1576). This form MUST be notarized.
  • A corresponding police report if your license plates or tabs were stolen and you want the replacement fees waived.
  • The appropriate replacement fee (see below), if applicable.


  • Single license plate - $8.50, plus $3.50 processing fee.
  • Both license plates - $17, plus $3.50 processing fee.
  • Single tab or set of tabs - $8.50, plus $3.50 processing fee.

NOTE: The above application process and fees also pertain to applying for the state's anti-theft enhanced security tab. These special tabs, however, are available only in a select number of Missouri DOR locations. Call ahead before applying. Otherwise, you may need to mail your application and fee to:

Missouri Department of Revenue
Motor Vehicle Bureau
P.O. Box 100
Jefferson City, MO 65105

NOTE: If you suspect that your Missouri license plates or registration stickers were stolen, you should file a police report with your local law enforcement agency so they can document the theft.


Application for Replacement Plates and Tabs
Request replacement Missouri license plates AND/OR tabs from the DOR. Must be notarized.

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through DMV.ORG