Replacing a Lost Registration in Missouri
Duplicate Registrations in Missouri
Your vehicle registration is important documentation that allows you to operate your vehicle legally in your state. But what happens if your vehicle registration goes missing or is stolen? Fear not, because the Missouri Department of Revenue’s Motor Vehicle Bureau has made the process of obtaining a duplicate registration receipt fairly easy.
Continue reading to find out how to get your vehicle registration replaced in Missouri.
MO Replacement Registration
You can get a duplicate copy of your registration receipt either in person or by mail. It doesn’t matter if your registration has been lost, stolen*, or damaged—it is the same process regardless.
Prevent Identity Theft!
While the Missouri DOR does NOT require that you report a stolen registration to the police, it’s highly recommended that you do so to help prevent any chance of identity theft.
You’ll need to submit:
- A completed Request for Receipt of Title or Registration (Form 2519). Make sure to include your:
- Vehicle’s year, make, and model.
- Vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Address, if you want your registration receipt mailed.
- Payment for the $14.50 replacement fee. This breaks down to:
- $8.50 for each receipt made.
- A $6 processing fee.
- If you’d like the registration receipt faxed, it’s an additional $0.50 per page.
- Check the form for ways you can pay depending on the submission method you choose.
Turn in your items:
- Through email, to the address listed on the form.
- By mail to the address listed on the form.
- In person at your local DMV.
*NOTE: The Missouri Motor Vehicle Bureau does NOT require that you report a stolen registration to the police or the bureau. HOWEVER, it’s highly recommended that you report the theft to the local MO police department to help prevent any chance of identity theft.
Out-of-State Registration Replacements
The process of replacing your registration receipt while outside of Missouri is just about as easy as it is in the state. Follow the steps above regarding replacing your registration by mail, and keep in mind you’ll need to:
- Put in your current address to make sure your duplicate registration receipt is mailed to you and not an address in Missouri.
- Submit the form and pay either by mail, email, or fax. DO NOT send cash.
Obtain Duplicate License Plate or Tabs
Stolen license plate?
If your plate or decal has been stolen, you MUST report the theft to your local police department BEFORE applying for replacement plates or decals.
If your Missouri license plate has been damaged or is missing, you'll need to have it replaced before you're allowed to get back on the roads. Don't worry—you have options.
Note that if your plate or decal has been stolen, the MO police and MVB REQUIRE that you report the theft to your local police department. You MUST do this before applying for replacement plates or decals.
Refer to our guide on how to replace your license plates in Missouri to get the information you need.