Other Vehicle Registrations in Missouri
If you own a vehicle other than your standard car, motorcycle, or pickup truck, the Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR) may require that you register and/or title it. These vehicles include all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), off-road vehicles, and snowmobiles.In MO an ATV is defined as a motorized vehicle made exclusively for off-highway use. The vehicle must be:
- 50 inches or less wide.
- Have a dry unladen weight of 1,500 lbs. or under.
- With 3 tires or more (non-highway).
This page outlines the steps you need to take to have your special vehicle properly registered and ready to take out for a spin.
You may also be interested in our other registration pages:
- Registering a Car in Missouri
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Motorcycle Registration
- Salvaged Vehicles
All-Terrain Vehicles in Missouri
You've just bought a new all-terrain vehicle (ATV) and you're looking to tear up some terrain. You'll have to title and register your vehicle within 30 days of purchase, or else you'll have to pay a fine. Take the following steps:
- Submit a certificate of title (for used ATVs) or manufacturer's statement of origin (for new vehicles). Have either form properly signed over to you.
- Submit a completed Application for Missouri Title and License (Form DOR-108).
- If you have a lien on the vehicle, you must submit a notarized Notice of Lien, Lien Release, or Authorization to Add/Remove Name from Title (Form DOR-4809).
- Pay the required fee. See "Fees" below.
NOTE: The Missouri DMV doesn't consider "off-road vehicles" (minicabs, mules, gators, etc.) as ATVs, and therefore they do not need to be titled and registered.
Once your application is processed, the MO Department of Revenue will issue you a registration decal valid for 3 years.
The fees you have to pay vary depending on where you live. A state sales tax of 4.225% is required, plus any local sales tax on the net purchase price. In addition, you'll have to pay $8.50 for the title, $10.25 for registration, and a $6 processing fee.
NOTE: If you purchased a used ATV for less than $3,000, no sales tax is due on the vehicle.
Missouri Snowmobile Registration
Currently, the Missouri DMV doesn't require you to register your snowmobile.
Trailer Registration in MO
If you've just purchased a trailer, you need to title and register it by following the same procedures as regular car registration. The only difference is exemption from emissions inspection and costs:
- Registration for 1 year: $7.50.
- Registration for 3 years: $22.50.
- Permanent trailer license: $52.50.
- Only 5th wheel and kingpin setups are considered for permanent trailer licenses (no ball or bumper type hitches).
The Missouri DOR may also charge you the following processing fees:
- $3.50 registration processing fee.
- $2.50 title processing fee.
Recreational Vehicles and Motorhomes
If you have a recreational vehicle (RV) or motorhome in Missouri, you'll need to have it registered through the same process as registering a regular car. See our Registering a Car in Missouri page for instructions.
You will need to pay the following fees:
- Registration for 1 year: $32.25 plus a $3.50 processing fee.
- Registration for 2 years: $64.50 plus a $7 processing fee.
If your RV does not yet have a title, visit our Title Transfers guide to learn how to apply.
If you have a custom-built car in Missouri, you can have it registered through the same process outlined on our Missouri Car Registration page.
You will need to have your custom car titled first by submitting the following to the MO DOR:
- A completed Application for Missouri Title and License (Form DOR-108).
- Proof you own all major components required to build your vehicle, such as bills of sale or receipts.
- Any other supporting material and fees as required.
Moped and Scooter Registration
You DO NOT have to register a moped or scooter IF it is classed as a motorized bicycle by the MO DOR.
To qualify as a motorized bicycle, your moped or scooter must have:
- An automatic transmission.
- 2 to 3 wheels.
- A motor no bigger than 50 cc and under 3 HP.
- A high speed of 30 MPH on a flat surface.
If your vehicle exceeds the motor or speed restrictions, it must be registered as a motorcycle.
Application for Missouri Title and License
Missouri DOR's application for an original title AND/OR registration, duplicate title, registration renewal, OR transfer of license plates.
|Download Open the form|
Notice of Lien, Lien Release, or Authorization to ADD/Remove Name from Title Form
Notify the Missouri DOR of a change (addition or removal) of a lien on your vehicle title. Must be notarized AND completed by the lienholder.
|Download Open the form|