Motorcycle Registration in Missouri

Missouri law requires all motorcycles be registered with the Department of Revenue (DOR) before they can be operated on the road.

Use this guide to learn more about registering your motorcycle:

  • As a new Missouri resident.
  • Following a new purchase.

If you need to renew your motorcycle registration, visit our guide to registration renewals in Missouri.

New Missouri Residents

Upon establishing Missouri residency, you have 30 days to title and register your motorcycle at a license office.

Visit your local Missouri license office and submit:

  • Proof of ownership (i.e., your motorcycle's title).
    • If a lienholder currently has the title, provide your out-of-state registration. You should attempt to get the title from your lienholder; if you can't, call (573) 526-3669.
  • A completed Application for Missouri Title and License (Form DOR-108).
  • Proof of Missouri motorcycle insurance.
  • A statement of non-assessment proving you do not owe personal property taxes (since you are a new resident to the state).
  • Proof of a safety inspection within the last 60 days.
    • Odometer and vehicle identification number (VIN) inspections will also be completed at this time.
  • Payment for all applicable taxes and fees (see below).
    • If you owned and rode your motorcycle for at least 90 days before moving to Missouri, you will NOT owe any sales tax on the vehicle.

Registering Your MO Motorcycle

Whether you purchase a new motorcycle at a dealership or a used motorcycle from a private seller, you'll have 30 days from the sale date to register it with the Missouri Department of Revenue.

Visit your local DOR office and:

When you purchase a motorcycle out-of-state, a VIN and odometer inspection may also be needed to complete registration if a safety inspection is not required. A current Missouri safety inspection will satisfy this requirement.

Temporary Motorcycle Registration Permit

When you purchase a new or used motorcycle without license plates to transfer, you'll need to obtain a temporary motorcycle registration permit in order to operate your motorcycle.

The permit will be valid for either 30 days or 90 days. During this time, you will be required to fulfill the requirements for permanent registration and titling outlined above.

After you purchase your new motorcycle, visit your local Missouri DOR office and:

Temporary motorcycle registration permits are $5 plus $6 for processing. Make sure to place your temporary permit clearly visible in the place where your license plates will be once you register.

Motorcycle Registration Fees & Taxes

You may be required to pay the following fees and taxes when your register or renew your motorcycle registration in Missouri:

  • Motorcycle registration:
    • Cycles with 2 wheels:
      • 1 year: $8.75.
      • 2 years: $17.50.
    • Cycles with 3 wheels:
      • 1 year: $10.25.
      • 2 years: $20.50.
  • Title fee: $14.50.
  • Temporary permit (30 days): $5 plus $6 for processing.
  • Transfer fee: $2.
    • Applicable if you are transferring your previous motorcycle plate to your new vehicle.
  • Sales tax: 4.225% plus local sales tax (varies by residence).
    • Based on the purchase price of the motorcycle.
  • Registration processing fees:
    • 1 year: $6.
    • 2 years: $12.


Odometer Disclosure Statement
Use this DOR form to disclose the amount of miles on a vehicle you're selling in Missouri.
Bill of Sale
The DOR's bill of sale, used as a proof of purchase after transferring ownership of a vehicle. Must be notarized when used to show proof of ownership OR if dealing with a rebuilt vehicle.
Application for Missouri Title and License
Missouri DOR's application for an original title AND/OR registration, duplicate title, registration renewal, OR transfer of license plates.
Notice of Lien, Lien Release, or Authorization to ADD/Remove Name from Title Form
Notify the Missouri DOR of a change (addition or removal) of a lien on your vehicle title. Must be notarized AND completed by the lienholder.
Notice of Sale or Transfer
Notify the Missouri Department of Revenue that you've sold OR transferred ownership of a vehicle.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review