Motorcycle License in Missouri


To ride your motorcycle on public roads in the state of Missouri, you are required to have a Class M instruction permit, Class M license, or a Class M endorsement on your license.

If you are a first time driver and a minor, you will also need to comply with Missouri’s Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) requirements.

See “Missouri Motorcycle License” below for additional information on requirements based on age.

New to Missouri?

If you just moved or are planning to move to MO, you will need to transfer your license. The Missouri Department of Revenue (DOV) does not distinguish between the transfer of license types.

Generally, when you establish residency in Missouri, you must take the following steps to transfer your out-of-state license:

  • Present appropriate identification, including proof of:
  • Pass a vision screening.
  • Pass a road sign test.
  • Surrender your out-of-state license.
  • Pay the applicable fees (MO provides a full list of fees in the Driver’s Guide):
    • 3-Year Class M license: $13.50.
    • 6-year Class M license: $27.

You should also know that you will be required to take the applicable written and on-cycle exams if your out-of-state driver’s license has been expired for over 184 days.

Drivers Under 18 years old

Missouri’s Graduated License Law (GDL) has licensing requirements and restrictions for minor drivers. If you’ve just moved to MO and hold an out-of-state license with full privileges, you will get an intermediate license from Missouri UNLESS you are 18 years old or you apply within 30 days of your 18th birthday.

Missouri Motorcycle Instruction Permit

If you are not yet an adult with a full MO driver’s license, you need a Class M permit in order to ride your motorcycle on public roadways in MO. You must be at least 15 years old to apply for a permit.

Requirements and restrictions for permits will vary for applicants, based on age.

Age 15 ½

If you are at least 15 years old, you can apply for a Missouri motorcycle instruction permit. However, any motorcycle operator under 16 years old who is applying for a Class M permit or an endorsement on a current driver’s permit must show proof of completion from a Motorcycle Rider Training Course. (See "Motorcycle Safety Courses" below for more information.)

When you make an appointment with your local Department of Revenue (DOR) office, you will be required to:

  • Have a parent or legal guardian come with you to the DOR license office to sign a permission statement.
    • Present appropriate identification, including proof of:
  • Pass the Class F written and Class M written exams.
  • Pass a vision screening.
  • Pass a road sign test.
  • Pay the $9.75 fee.

In order to feel more comfortable taking the Class M and F exams, you can take online practice tests prior to applying. Once you have successfully completed the steps above, you will be issued your Class M instruction permit.

MO Motorcycle Instruction Permit Restrictions

Your permit is valid for 6 months, and you will need to hold it for the full 6 months prior to applying for an intermediate Class M license.* If you need to renew your permit, the fee is $9.75 for drivers under 16 years old and $7 for drivers 16 years old and older.

When driving under this permit, you are subject to the following restrictions:

  • You may only drive during daylight, meaning you may not drive from 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise.
  • You may not drive more than 50 miles from your home address.
  • You may not drive a motorcycle larger than 250 cc.
  • You may not carry passengers.
  • You must be accompanied by a qualified person, grandparent, qualified driving instructor.
    • NOTE: If your parent, grandparent, or guardian is disabled, you may drive with their designee.
  • You must carry your permit with you while driving.

*Applicants between 16 years old and 18 years old are given an intermediate license, subject to Missouri’s Graduated Licensing requirements. For more information on MO’s Graduated Driver License (GDL) law, please see “GDL Qualifications for Upgrading a Permit to License” below OR our page on applying for a teen license in MO.

Age 16 and Older

If you are at least 16 years old when you apply for your Missouri motorcycle instruction permit, the motorcycle rider training course is NOT required; however, the requirements of the Missouri Graduated Driver License program (GDL) will apply if you are under 18 years old.

To obtain a Class M permit, you will need to:

  • Pass a vision screening.
  • Pass a road sign test.
  • Present appropriate identification, including proof of:
  • Pass the Class M written exam.
  • Pay the $7 fee.

NOTE: If you do not already hold a valid Class F license, you can take the Class F written exam in addition to the above steps to obtain a motorcycle permit (Class F with an M endorsement).

You can prepare yourself for your written exam(s) by taking practice tests before making an appointment to apply for your permit.

Motorcycle Permit Driving Restrictions

When driving with a permit, you must carry your permit with you while driving.

If you need to, you may renew your permit for a $7 fee.

Missouri Motorcycle License or Endorsement (Class M)

To earn your full Class M license or endorsement, you must be at least 18 years old. You will need to take the following steps:

  • Pass the Class F and Class M written and on-cycle skills examinations.
    • You can show a completion card from an approved motorcycle rider training course to waive your on-cycle skills test at your local DOR office. (See “Motorcycle Safety Courses” below).
  • Pass the Class F and Class M vision and road sign examinations.
  • Present appropriate identification, including proof of:
    • Name.
    • Date and place of birth.
    • Social Security number.
    • Residency.
  • Pay the applicable fee:
    • 3-Year Class M license: $13.50.
    • 6-year Class M license: $27.

NOTE TO MINOR RIDERS: GDL requirements that apply to minor drivers also apply to motorcycle operators. The GDL has certain requirements and restrictions based on age. You can find the requirements for your age group below.

GDL Requirements for Drivers Ages 16-18

In order to become motorcycle qualified if you are a minor, you will first need to satisfy the GDL requirements.

The Graduated Driver License (GDL) law requires that first-time drivers between 15 years old and 18 years old complete a certain number of supervised driving hours in order to upgrade to an intermediate (restricted) driver’s license. (An intermediate license can be upgraded to a full license when the driver turns 18 years old, or 30 days prior.)

If you are a minor and are attempting to get a motorcycle (or any other) license, you need to meet the following requirements prior to applying in order to upgrade your instruction permit to a license:

  • You must hold your permit for at least 182 days (beginning the day you received it).
  • You must not have been convicted of any alcohol-related offenses in the last 12 months.
  • You must not have had any traffic convictions in the last 6 months.
  • You are required to have received 40 hours of driving instruction between sunset and sunrise with a qualified person*, grandparent, or qualified driving instructor.
    • 10 hours of instruction must take place at night.

*Qualified person means a parent, legal guardian, or certified trainer with a federal residential job training program (must hold a valid Class M license).

GDL Motorcycle Driving Restrictions

When driving a motorcycle with an intermediate license, you are restricted from driving between 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. (except if going to or from a school activity or job, or for an emergency).

GDL Requirements for Drivers Ages 18-21

Once you are 18 years old, you are eligible for a full Class M motorcycle license for drivers under 21 years old. The GDL requirements until you turn 21 years old include the following:

  • You must be at least 18 years old. (However, you can apply anytime within the 30 days before your 18th birthday).
  • You must meet the requirements for an intermediate license. (See “GDL Requirements for Drivers 16-18” above.)
  • You cannot have had your driving privilege suspended, revoked, or denied at the time of applying.
  • You cannot have had any alcohol-related offenses or traffic convictions in the 12 months prior to applying.

Renewing Your MO Class M License

Missouri does not distinguish between renewal of license types. For more information, please see our Renewing Your License in Missouri page.

Missouri Motorcycle Safety Courses

If you are under 16 years old, the Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR) requires that you successfully complete a Motorcycle Rider Training Course before applying for a Class M permit.

Additionally, the Basic Rider Course can be used to waive the on-cycle skills exam when you are applying for your Class M license.

You can choose from one of several motorcycle safety courses, depending upon your level of riding experience. Courses are offered throughout the state. Check the Missouri course locations to find a course near you.

Introductory Motorcycle Experience for Beginners

The introductory course is 2 hours long and is offered to riders with no experience who want extra instruction before taking the Basic Rider Course.

This class provides a safe and stress-free environment where riders can ask questions and get extra one-on-one time with the instructor.

Basic Rider Course (BRC)

The Basic Rider Course (BRC) is offered to novice riders, or riders who have not been riding for a while who want additional instruction. This course includes at least 5 hours of classroom instruction and at least 16 hours of practical training.

You do not need to bring your own motorcycle or helmet, as they are included in the course fee. You can show a completion card from this course to waive your on-cycle skills test.

Advanced Rider Course

The BRC-2 course takes place in 1 day and helps motorcycle riders improve their skills and riding strategies, including emergency braking, control, low-speed maneuvers, and swerving.

MO Motorcycle License for Military Members

If you are a member of the military, you can submit a completion card from a military Motorcycle Rider Training Course (MRTC) in order to waive the on-cycle skills exam when obtaining a Class M license IF the following requirements are met:

  • The course must meet or exceed the Motorcycle Safety Foundation criteria.
  • Only approved MSF completion cards issued by a military motorcycle rider training course may be used.

You will need to follow the same licensing steps and submit the documents outlined above.

Other Types of Vehicles in MO

Missouri has different requirements for scooters, mopeds, ATVs, etc. To learn all about the requirements for other vehicle types, please see our pages on Missouri Scooters and Mopeds and Special Vehicles in Missouri.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review