Disability Plates and Placards in Missouri

SUMMARY: Misosouri Disability Plates & Placards

Learn more about placards and license plates for people with disabilities, parking regulations, how to apply for a parking permit, and renewing and replacing parking permits for handicapped parking.

If you're a Missouri resident with a disability, you can apply for parking placards or license plates that allow you to use handicapped parking spaces.

The placards and plates are issued by the Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR) and require an application as well as medical certification.

Types of Missouri Disability Permits

The MO DOR offers a range of disability parking permits, including:

  • Temporary placards.
  • Permanent placards.
  • Permanent disability license plates.
  • Disabled veterans license plates.

If you have a qualifying disability certified by a medical professional, you can apply for a disability placard or plate, which allows you access to disabled parking spots.

MO Visitors with Disabilities

If you are traveling to Missouri from out of state, you can use your own disability placards or plates for handicapped parking. The state of Missouri recognizes the disability permits from all other states.

Apply for Placards & Plates in MO

You can apply for a disability parking placard or license plate from the MO DOR:

  • By mail.
  • In person.

Apply for a Disability Placard

To apply for a disabled placard, you will need to:

You can submit your application in person to your local Missouri DMV office or by mail to:

Motor Vehicle Bureau
P.O. Box 100
Jefferson City, MO 65105

Your doctor's certification will determine whether you qualify for a permanent or temporary placard.

Apply for a Disability License Plate

You can apply for a disability license plate in Missouri if you have a permanent disability.

You will need to submit:

NOTE: If you already have a disabled placard AND you're at least 75 years old, you do not need the physician's statement.

Submit the forms in person to a Missouri DMV office or by mail to:

Motor Vehicle Bureau
P.O. Box 100
Jefferson City, MO 65105

Apply for a Disabled Veteran License Plate

To apply for a disabled veteran license plate with handicapped parking access, you'll need:

Submit the forms:

  • By mail to the address on the form.
  • In person at a DOR license office.

Renew a Missouri Disability Permit

When your MO disability placard or license plate expires, you must renew it to continue using handicapped parking. Expiration dates vary by permit type:

  • A temporary placard is valid for up to 180 days depending upon the statement given by the physician.
  • A permanent placard is valid for 4 years.
  • A disability license plate is valid for 4 years.

Renew a Temporary Placard

A temporary placard can be renewed 1 time only for an additional 180 days.

To renew the temporary placard, you must re-apply for it by submitting:

You can submit the application in person at your local MO DOR office or by mail to the address on the form.

Renew a Permanent Placard or License Plate

If you have a permanent placard or disability license plate, you should receive a renewal notice before it expires.

To renew it, you'll need to submit:

NOTE: If you are at least 75 years old OR a military veteran, you do not need a physician's statement to renew.

You can submit your renewal by mail to the address on the notice or in person at a MO DMV office.

Replace Disability Placards & License Plates

If you need to replace your disability placard because it was lost, stolen, or damaged, you will need to submit:

You can submit your replacement request either by mail to the address on the form or in person at a Missouri driver's licensing office.

For information about replacing a license plate, see our Missouri lost registration page.


Application for Disabled Person Placard
DOR application for an original, renewed, replacement, OR corrected Missouri disabled parking placard. Must submit with a physician’s statement from your doctor.
Physicians Statement for Disabled License Plates or Placards
Physician's evaluation you must submit to the Missouri DOR when applying for an original OR renewed disabled placard OR plates. Must be completed by your doctor.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review