Applying for a New License (Drivers 18+) in Missouri
DMV Cheat Sheet - Time Saver
With DMV Cheat Sheets, it's like having the answers before you take the test. Only $9.95!
- Computer, tablet, or mobile phone
- Just print and go to the DMV
- 100% Money Back Guarantee
Applying for a New License in Missouri
Applying for a new Missouri driver's license is necessary if you plan to operate a vehicle in Missouri.
Whether you are a new resident or a first-time driver, the Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR) requires you take a number of steps in order to obtain your driver's license.
Continue reading this page to find information about how to transfer or apply for your new driver's license in Missouri.
New to Missouri?
Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.
You must transfer your out-of-state driver's license once you establish residency in Missouri. To apply, visit your local DOR office and:
- Surrender your out-of-state driver's license.
- Show proof of your name, date/place of birth, Social Security number, and MO residency.
- For a complete list of acceptable documents, please visit the DOR website.
- Pass the written permit test and driving tests.
- The DOR will waive your skills and written tests if your driver's license is valid or has been expired for 184 days or less.
- Pass a road sign recognition test.
- View the Highway Sign Recognition Study Sheet for more information.
- Pass a vision test.
- Pay the class F driver's license fee:
- $10 for 3 years OR $20 for 6 years.
Depending on your age, your license will be valid for a specific period of time:
- 21 thru 69 years old: 6 years.
- 18 to 20 years old OR 70 years old or older: 3 years.
Types of Missouri Driver's Licenses and Eligibility
This page outlines the process of getting your full driver's license in Missouri.
NOTE: If you're 18 years old or younger, you must complete the MO DOR graduated driver licensing (GDL) program. For more information, see our Applying for a New License (Teen Drivers) in Missouri page.
The Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR) offers the following types of driver's licenses and learner's permits:
- GDL program only:
- Learner's permit: Eligible at 15 years old.
- Intermediate license (class F): Eligible at 16 years old.
- Full driver's license (class F): Eligible at 18 years old.
- Motorcycle license (class M): Eligible at 16 years old.
- Commercial driver's license (class A, B, or C): Eligible for intrastate at 18 years old.
Car Insurance Requirements
In Missouri, you must carry car insurance (and proof of your financial responsibility) at all times while driving. Your policy must meet the minimum liability requirement of “25/50/10."
To get a low car insurance rate in Missouri, visit our Insurance Center.
Missouri Learner's Permit
In Missouri, if you are 18 years old or older, you do not need a learner's permit to apply for your driver's license.
If you're younger than 18 years old, you will be required to apply for an instruction permit and intermediate driver's license before obtaining a basic driver's license. Refer to our Applying for a New License (Teen Drivers) in Missouri page for more information.
This GDL process ensures you receive the training and driving practice you need to be safe and responsible driver and pass your driving test.
Apply for a New Missouri Driver's License
NOTE: If you're younger than 18 years old, you must complete the Missouri graduated driver license (GDL) program before applying for a driver's license (see “Learner's Permit" above).
To apply for your new Missouri driver's license, you must first pass the following tests at a local Missouri State Highway Patrol (MSHP) office:
- Written test.
- Vision test.
- Road sign test.
Once you pass, you will be issued a Driver Examination Record (Form DOR-100), which you must submit to the Missouri DOR to obtain your first driver's license.
To proceed, visit your local MO driver's license office and:
- Show proof of your:
- Date and place of birth.
- Social Security number.
- MO residency.
- For a complete list of acceptable documents, please visit the Missouri DOR website.
- Pass the road/driving test.
- Pay the driver's license fee:
- $10 for 3 years OR $20 for 6 years.
You should receive your MO driver's license in the mail within 10 business days.