Replacing a Lost Registration in Minnesota

If your Minnesota license plates, registration card, or license plate stickers are lost, stolen, or damaged, request replacement items as soon as you can through the Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) division.

On this page you'll find an overview of the steps you can take to order replacement registration cards, license plates, or decals.

Replace a Lost MN Registration Card

To replace your missing or damaged Minnesota vehicle registration card, you can apply:

  • In person.
  • By mail.

For both options, you’ll need to provide:

Submit your application and payment in person to a local DVS office, OR mail it to:

MN Department of Public Safety
Driver and Vehicle Services
445 Minnesota Street
Saint Paul, MN 55101

Duplicate MN License Plates & Tabs

Requirements to request duplicate Minnesota license plates or validation decals often vary by your county of residence. For example, your local office may offer the option to apply by mail, and fees for duplicate plates can vary.

You can replace your lost or damaged plates or decals by visiting a DVS office with:

  • A completed Application for Duplicate Plates and/or Stickers (Form PS2067B).
    • Indicate the reason you are applying for duplicate items.
  • Your current registration card.
  • Payment for the:
    • $8 filing fee.
    • Appropriate duplicate item fee.
      • See the fees section below for a breakdown of specific fees.
      • Make checks or money orders out to “Driver and Vehicle Services.”

If you still have your damaged MN plates or stickers, you will need to surrender them to the county registrar.

Duplicate Registration Fees in MN

Here is a list of potential fees associated with replacing your lost or damaged decals, plates, and registration card:

  • Duplicate registration card: Please contact your DVS office or local deputy registration to find out specific fee information.
  • Duplicate stickers: $1.50.
  • Duplicate plate:
    • Double plates: $15.50.
    • Single plate: $13.50.
  • Filing fee: Additional $8.


Application for Duplicate Plates And/Or Stickers
Request duplicate MN license plates AND/OR stickers from the DVS.
Application for Duplicate Title, Registration, Cab or Lien Card
Apply for a duplicate Minnesota title, registration card, cab card, OR lien card from the DVS.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review