Replacing a Lost Title in Minnesota
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
Replacing a Lost Title in Minnesota
If you wish sell your car, you'll need your title to prove ownership.
No matter how conscientious or organized you are, vehicle titles can be lost, stolen or damaged. Fortunately, it just takes a few minutes and a couple of forms to apply for a replacement title with the Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services.
Continue reading this page for all the details you need on how to replace your Minnesota certificate of title.
Applying for a Duplicate MN Title
You can apply for a duplicate title either by mail or in person at your local MN DVS office.
Only the vehicle owner or a legal representative of the owner may apply for the title. If there are multiple owners, all owners of the vehicle must sign.
Should you find the original title later, return it to a DVS location.
NOTE: If you used a loan to buy your car, you may have a lien on the vehicle. The title is sent to the lienholder unless your loan is paid off.
To apply by mail, send the Application for Duplicate Title, Registration, Cab or Lien Card (Form PS2067A) and your payment to:
Driver and Vehicle Services
Town Square Building
445 Minnesota St Suite 187
St Paul, MN 55101
If you are replacing a damaged or illegible title, attach the old title to the application. Be sure to include payment for the $7.25 duplicate title fee, plus the $10 filing fee.
To replace a lost or damaged title, you'll need to:
- Complete the Application for Duplicate Title, Registration, Cab or Lien Card (Form PS2067A).
- Sign the form and provide your driver's license number.
- Supply information that includes the license plate number and the make and model of the car.
- Take everything to to a Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) location. Or, just fill out the form at the office.
- Pay the $7.25 duplicate title fee, plus the $10 filing fee.
If you apply in person at the Central Office, your duplicate title, in most cases, will be processed and issued the next day. All vehicle owners will need to give their drivers license numbers to get a duplicate title.
No Proof of Ownership From Seller
If proof of ownership can't be found during a sale, first determine if the car is old enough to go through the Defective Title Bond Process. This process applies to cars 6 years and older.
You will need to provide the following:
- An Affidavit of Due Diligence.
- An Application to Title and Register a Motor Vehicle (Form PS2000).
- Payment for the following fees:
- Title fee: $7.25.
- Transfer tax: $10.
- Public safety vehicle fee: $3.50.
- Filing fee: $10.
- A Statement of Facts (Form PS2002) from the seller.
- As much information as possible about the vehicle.
- A statement of protection from the buyer that defends the state of Minnesota from any future claims of ownership of the vehicle.
- Photographs that show all sides of the vehicle. This helps determine the fair market value of the vehicle.
- Vehicle registration, if available.
- A surety bond against any future claims of ownership, if applicable.
- Sales tax of 6.5% (unless exempt then in-lieu fees apply based on the vehicles value).
Application to Title and Register a Motor Vehicle - PS2000
Title and register your vehicle with Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services.
Application for Duplicate Title, Registration, Cab or Lien Card - PS2067A
Apply for a duplicate Minnesota title, registration card, cab card, OR lien card from the DVS.
Statement of Facts - PS2002
Submit this form to MN Driver and Vehicle Services when applying for a title on a vehicle you have no ownership documents for.