Replacing a Lost License in Minnesota

Replacing a Lost Driver's License in Minnesota

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS) and Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) make it easy to replace a lost, stolen, or destroyed MN driver's license, permit, or ID card.

If your license is missing, you need to take the necessary steps to replace it as soon as possible so that you can legally drive. You might also consider reporting it right away in case it has fallen into the wrong hands.

Upgrading to a REAL ID

If you wish to replace a non-compliant license with a REAL ID-compliant license, follow the steps for a first-time license application.

Report a Lost or Stolen Minnesota License, Permit, or ID

Losing your driver's license or having it stolen can put you in danger of identity theft. If your Minnesota driver's license, permit, or ID was stolen, the MN DVS recommends that you file a report with police in the area where the theft occurred. 

You are also advised to request that the DVS flag your driving record in order to alert the police that someone else might be using your identity. To flag your record, complete the Law Enforcement Alert for Victims of Identity Theft (Form PS31300) and submit it to your local DVS office.

For more information on protecting your identity, check our page on preventing identity theft.

Apply for a Replacement MN Driver's License

Unless you are currently out of state (see below), you must apply for a duplicate MN driver's license, permit, or ID in person at your DVS office.

The Minnesota DVS will use your picture on file to verify your identity; however, if they are unable to verify your identity OR if you have changed your name, you will need to show your MN DVS ID card OR:

  • 1 primary document that shows your name and full date of birth (e.g., U.S. passport, military ID card, certified birth record, etc.).
  • 1 secondary document (e.g., U.S. Social Security card, certified marriage certificate, secondary school ID card, etc.)
    • The MN DVS provides a full list of acceptable IDs.
    • Note that if your name has changed, you'll need to present proof of your legal name change (e.g., certified marriage certificate or certified divorce decree).
    • If you're a temporary U.S. resident, you might need to present additional proof of your legal presence (e.g., Form I-20, DS-2019, etc.)

Once the DVS has verified your identification, your last step will be to pay the $26 fee.

NOTE: If you want to get expedited delivery, there will be a $20 fee. If you choose this option, you can expect your duplicate license or ID to arrive in the mail within 2 weeks.

Out-of-State and Military MN License Replacement

If you are a MN resident traveling out of state or stationed abroad as a member of the military and you've lost your driver's license, permit, or ID, you can request a duplicate without returning to MN; however, your license or ID status must still be valid. If your status is not valid or expired, please call the DVS at (651) 297-3298.

To apply from outside MN, you need to obtain and complete an Out-of-State Driver's License/ID Card Renewal Guide. To request for this application packet to be sent to your out-of-state address, either:

  • Contact the DVS by phone: (651) 297-3298.
  • Email the DVS at with your request.

Once you receive your application packet, you will need to:

  • Complete and sign the application. The yellow copy is yours to keep for your records.
  • Have it notarized.
  • Enclose a check or money order for the $26 replacement fee.
    • A separate check or money order is required if you are paying the $20 fee to expedite the application (see below).
    • Make checks/money orders payable to MN DVS."
  • Send everything to the DVS in the return envelope provided with the packet.

It will take about 6 weeks to receive your replacement driver's license in the mail. To get it sooner:

  • Select the expedited service box on your application.
  • Add a separate check for $20.

If you expedite your application, you'll receive your new Minnesota driver's license or ID in about 2 weeks.

NOTE: The expedited service cannot be used for P.O. Boxes, APO military address, or foreign country addresses. If you live at one of these address types, you'll need to use the standard method.

MN Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Replacement

The process of replacing a CDL in Minnesota is relatively easy. To replace your CDL, you must:

  • Visit your local MN DVS office.
  • Bring any required documents of identity (see Apply for a Replacement MN Driver's License" above).
  • Complete and submit the Commercial Driver License Medical Self-Certification (Form PS33203).
    • If you certify that you are subject to medical examiner requirements, you'll also need to present a copy of your Medical Examination Report (Form 649-F) and any waivers that are required.
  • Pay the $26 fee.
    • If you want expedited service (duplicate will arrive in the mail within 2 weeks), pay the additional $20 fee.


Commercial Driver License Medical Self-Certification
Submit this form to MN Driver and Vehicle Services to self-certify as an exempt OR non-exempt interstate OR intrastate commercial driver.
Law Enforcement Alert for Victims of Identity Theft
Submit this form to Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services if you suspect someone else is using your identity. Must be notarized.
Medical Examination Report for Commercial Driver Fitness Determination
Submit this general medical exam to the DVS when applying for your Minnesota commercial driver's license. Must be completed by a doctor.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review