Replacing a Lost CDL in Minnesota
Pass Your CDL Written Exam with DMV Cheatsheets!
Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:
- Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
- Study When and Where You Want
- 24/7 Online Access
- Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed
Get Your Test Answers Now!
Generally, you must replace your lost commercial driver's license in person with Minnesota's Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS); however, if you're currently out of state you MIGHT be able to apply for a replacement CDL by mail (depending on your specific situation).For identity theft protection, the DVS recommends filing a police report and requesting a flag on your driving record (see below). Remember, you can't legally operate a commercial truck or other commercial vehicle without a valid, properly endorsed CDL with you.
Get a Duplicate CDL in MN
Replace your lost CDL in person with Minnesota's Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS).
Before you visit your local DVS office, make sure you're ready to:
- Complete any application(s) required to replace a lost CDL.
- Provide the required documents. These can include:
- Pay the $14.75 fee.
- This is the fee for a duplicate CDL; however, you MIGHT be required to pay additional fees based on endorsements.
Out-of-State Commercial Drivers
Contact the DVS office at (651) 297-5029 for instructions on how to apply for a replacement CDL if you're currently out of state.
Flag Your Driving Record
The MN DVS recommends taking the following actions when you lose your CDL (or believe it's been stolen):
- File a police report.
- Consider filing a report with both local and state law enforcement.
- Request that the DVS place a flag on your driving record.
- This flag alerts police officers that someone else could be using your stolen or lost CDL to assume your identity.
- Request this flag with the Law Enforcement Alert for Victims of Identity Theft (Form PS31300).