Replacing a Lost CDL in Minnesota
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
Generally, you must replace your lost commercial driver's license in person with Minnesota's Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS); however, if you're currently out of state you MIGHT be able to apply for a replacement CDL by mail (depending on your specific situation).For identity theft protection, the DVS recommends filing a police report and requesting a flag on your driving record (see below). Remember, you can't legally operate a commercial truck or other commercial vehicle without a valid, properly endorsed CDL with you.
Get a Duplicate CDL in MN
Replace your lost CDL in person with Minnesota's Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS).
Before you visit your local DVS office, make sure you're ready to:
- Complete any application(s) required to replace a lost CDL.
- Provide the required documents. These can include:
- Pay the $14.75 fee.
- This is the fee for a duplicate CDL; however, you MIGHT be required to pay additional fees based on endorsements.
Out-of-State Commercial Drivers
Contact the DVS office at (651) 297-5029 for instructions on how to apply for a replacement CDL if you're currently out of state.
Flag Your Driving Record
The MN DVS recommends taking the following actions when you lose your CDL (or believe it's been stolen):
- File a police report.
- Consider filing a report with both local and state law enforcement.
- Request that the DVS place a flag on your driving record.
- This flag alerts police officers that someone else could be using your stolen or lost CDL to assume your identity.
- Request this flag with the Law Enforcement Alert for Victims of Identity Theft (Form PS31300).
Law Enforcement Alert for Victims of Identity Theft - PS31300
Submit this form to Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services if you suspect someone else is using your identity. Must be notarized.