Replacing a Lost CDL in Minnesota

Want to save money on commercial vehicle insurance?

Join 1,972,984 Americans who searched for Car Insurance Rates:

  • Get free quotes from the nation's biggest auto insurance providers.
  • Over 94% of Americans qualify for lower rates.

Generally, you must replace your lost commercial driver's license in person with Minnesota's Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS); however, if you're currently out of state you MIGHT be able to apply for a replacement CDL by mail (depending on your specific situation).

For identity theft protection, the DVS recommends filing a police report and requesting a flag on your driving record (see below). Remember, you can't legally operate a commercial truck or other commercial vehicle without a valid, properly endorsed CDL with you.

Get a Duplicate CDL in MN

Replace your lost CDL in person with Minnesota's Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS).

Before you visit your local DVS office, make sure you're ready to:

  • Complete any application(s) required to replace a lost CDL.
  • Provide the required documents. These can include:
  • Pay the $14.75 fee.
    • This is the fee for a duplicate CDL; however, you MIGHT be required to pay additional fees based on endorsements.

Out-of-State Commercial Drivers

Contact the DVS office at (651) 297-5029 for instructions on how to apply for a replacement CDL if you're currently out of state.

Flag Your Driving Record

The MN DVS recommends taking the following actions when you lose your CDL (or believe it's been stolen):

  • File a police report.
    • Consider filing a report with both local and state law enforcement.
  • Request that the DVS place a flag on your driving record.


Law Enforcement Alert for Victims of Identity Theft
Submit this form to Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services if you suspect someone else is using your identity. Must be notarized.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review