Renewing Your CDL in Minnesota

On This Page

When to Renew

If you hold a valid Minnesota CDL, you may renew it at any time. Minnesota CDLs expire 4 years from your birthday of the year that you renew.

You should receive a renewal notice before your license expires. The notice is sent to the address on file with the Minnesota Department of Public Safety Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS), so be sure your current address is the one the DVS has. Minnesota law requires you to apply for a duplicate CDL within 30 days if your address changes.

If you do not receive a renewal notice, you must still comply with state and federal commercial driving regulations to renew your CDL in Minnesota.

How to Renew

To renew a Minnesota CDL with Hazardous Materials Endorsement (HME), you must pass the HME knowledge test. You may also be required to have a Medical Examination Report (Form 649-F).

If your Minnesota CDL with HME is expiring before the required time for fingerprinting, you can renew your CDL, but it will not have the HME until the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) processes the prints. This prohibits transport of hazardous material loads until HME is renewed.

If you have questions about renewing your CDL, which must be done at a Minnesota DVS location, you may contact the department by email at, or by phone at (651) 297-3298.


  • Regular Class A: $44.25
  • Class B: $36.25, including intrastate only
  • Class C: $29.25
  • Additional school bus processing fee, original or renewal: $4
  • Motorcycle endorsement fee for renewal or upgrade: $21
  • Examination fee for each endorsement: $2.50

New Federal Requirements

You must self-certify your type of vehicle operation with the Minnesota DPS. This means you must self-certify one of the following driving categories:

  • Non-Excepted Interstate
  • Excepted Interstate
  • Non-Excepted Intrastate
  • Excepted Intrastate

If you choose Non-Excepted Interstate, you must provide the DPS with a federal medical certificate.

Submit a completed a self-certification Commercial Driver License Medical Self-certification (Form PS33203) by:

  • Faxing to (651) 297-4447
  • Dropping off at any DPS office
  • Mailing to:
    • Driver and Vehicle Services
    • 445 Minnesota St
    • Ste 175
    • St Paul, MN 55101


Commercial Driver License Medical Self-Certification
Submit this form to MN Driver and Vehicle Services to self-certify as an exempt OR non-exempt interstate OR intrastate commercial driver.
Medical Examination Report for Commercial Driver Fitness Determination
Submit this general medical exam to the DVS when applying for your Minnesota commercial driver's license. Must be completed by a doctor.

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through DMV.ORG