DUI Attorneys in Minnesota
If you decide to hire a DUI attorney to represent you on a Minnesota DWI charge, you'll find that your lawyer can help in many ways, including appearing in court and explaining your penalties if you're convicted.
NOTE: The content of this website is intended solely for informational purposes. It is not a source of legal advice and should not be used as such.
Keep reading for details about DUI attorneys in Minnesota.
Choose a Minnesota DUI Attorney
Driving while intoxicated (DWI)—also known as a DUI—in Minnesota is a crime, so you may decide to hire a lawyer.
Choosing which DUI lawyer will represent you can be difficult, but these tips can make the decision easier:
- Ask for recommendations. You may know someone who works with or has hired a DWI lawyer.
- Look locally. Lawyers in your area are likely to have working relationships with local MN courts and law enforcement.
- Find an experienced attorney. Attorneys who have handled Minnesota DWI cases usually have more specific knowledge of DUI laws and court procedures.
- Schedule a consultation. Attorneys usually offer free consultation so that you can learn more about their experience, fees, and other important details.
- Ask about fees. Ask potential attorneys what they charge and how they bill you. Some attorneys require a retainer (money up front), for example.
Your lawyer will guide you through the entire court process, so it's important to be confident in your choice of DUI attorney.
How DUI Attorneys Help
DUI attorneys CANNOT promise a specific outcome for your case. Often, a DUI conviction can be hard to avoid since the evidence is difficult to dispute.
However, your Minnesota DWI attorney can help with some of the more stressful or complicated aspects of your case, such as:
- Going to court for you or speaking on your behalf.
- Advising you on your plea or other strategies.
- Completing and filing court documents.
- Explaining legal requirements and other details.
DUI lawyers can help to make sure you follow proper MN court procedures, which can be confusing to the average citizen, and make sure that everything in your case is done correctly.
Penalties for a MN DUI
You'll face two types of penalties for a DWI conviction in Minnesota:
- Driver's license suspension or restriction by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS).
- Criminal penalties, including a fine and/or jail time.
MN DPS penalties are independent of court penalties. Based on your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) alone, the Minnesota DPS can:
- Suspend your MN driver's license for up to 1 year
- Restrict your driving and require an ignition interlock device to be installed in your vehicle for up to 1 year
The judge who oversees your case determines criminal court penalties. The penalties for a 1st offense can include:
- A fine of $1,000.
- A maximum jail sentence of 90 days.
Your DUI attorney can help to minimize the Minnesota DPS and criminal penalties you face.
Need SR-22 Insurance?
Get the cheapest SR-22 Insurance rate comparing multiple providers.Call (315) 804-6915 for a Quote