Commercial Driver FAQs in Minnesota

Where to Find Minnesota CDL Info

Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) provides information on becoming a commercial driver, commercial driver's license (CDL) renewal, education and training, driving schools, endorsements, and related information on its official website.

Minnesota DVS handles commercial driver business, and provides a list of locations that can handle testing and other transactions.

The following is a list of frequently asked questions (FAQs) regarding commercial drivers in Minnesota:

How long do I have to notify Minnesota DVS if I've moved?

You must apply for a duplicate CDL with an updated address within 30 days of moving.

How long is my Minnesota CDL valid before renewal is required?

The license is good for 4 years, renewable anytime before your birthday.

Do I need to get fingerprinted for a hazardous materials endorsement (HME)?

Yes. To obtain or renew an HME, you must get fingerprinted, but commercial drivers are not required to keep the endorsement when renewing.

Where can I find out more information about commercial driving in Minnesota?

The best place to find information on Minnesota CDL rules and requirements is the official Minnesota DVS website. The DVS Commercial License division may also be contacted by phone at (651) 297-5029 or by email at:

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review