Car Registration in Minnesota

SUMMARY: How to Register Your Vehicle in Minnesota

Vehicle registration with the MN DVS requires your vehicle's title, your driver's license or ID, proof of car insurance, an odometer reading, and payment for your applicable registration fee. You can register your vehicle in person or by mail.

The following information is for conducting first time vehicle registrations with the Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS). If you have already registered your vehicle with the MN DVS and want to renew your registration, visit our Minnesota Registration Renewal guide.

New to Minnesota?

If you're new to Minnesota and your current out-of-state vehicle registration is still valid, you will have 60 days to register your car with the MN Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) once you establish residency.

  • If your out-of-state registration will be expiring soon, you must register your car with the DVS before it does so.
  • If your out-of-state registration has already expired or if you had to surrender your plates after leaving the state, you must register your car BEFORE you drive it in Minnesota.

You will need to provide the following:

* Note: Don't forget to also apply for a MN driver's license, and if you have additional questions about registering your vehicle as a new resident, feel free to contact your local DVS office or call the DVS help desk at (651) 297-2126.

Registering a Vehicle in Minnesota

In order to legally operate your vehicle in the state, including parking it on public roads, you must register it with the Minnesota DVS. Vehicle registrations may be completed either in person or by mail and must be renewed every year.

NOTE: If you purchased your vehicle from a dealer, they will handle the registration process. They will also help you complete a title transfer in order to transfer the registration into your name.

Make sure you have an active car insurance policy when registering your vehicle.

Compare rates and buy your policy online: Visit the Insurance Center >>

Register in Person

To register in person, you must go to your local DVS office and be prepared to present the following:

  • Original vehicle title (if the title is not available you may use a current vehicle registration card).
  • All owners are required to sign the application.
  • Proof of identification (driver's license, birth certificate, etc.).
  • Vehicle odometer reading.
  • Proof of auto insurance.
  • A copy of your lease agreement or power of attorney from your lessor, along with the leasing company's Minnesota Tax ID number, if applicable.
  • Payment for necessary fees (see below).

You will be given Minnesota license plates, registration decals, and a certificate of vehicle registration that should be kept in your vehicle at all times.

Register by Mail

If you are unable to appear in person at a Minnesota DVS office, you may complete your car registration by mail.

Send the following to the DVS:

445 Minnesota St
St Paul, MN 55101

Allow the DMV up to 10 days to process your Minnesota vehicle registration. You will receive your new registration certificate and license plates via mail.

NOTE: You may update your address while registering by mail by entering your information on the back of the application form. If you are changing your name on your registration, you must renew in person.

Vehicle Registration Fees

Standard administrative and license plate fees that all applicants must pay include:

  • Filing fee: $11.
  • Passenger vehicle and truck plates:
    • Double plates: $15.50.
    • Single plates (vehicles model year 1972 and older OR collector vehicles): $13.50.
  • Motorcycle or moped plates: $13.50.
  • Wheelage tax (if applicable): up to $20.

Other Minnesota vehicle registration fees vary and are based on taxes that are determined by both the value and age of your vehicle (for example, vehicles 10 years old and older pay a minimum of $35). Motorcycles carry a $10 tax, and mopeds have a registration tax of $6.

To help get an estimate on how much you must pay to register your vehicle, you can calculate your fee with the Minnesota Tax Manual, contact your local DVS office, or call the DVS help desk at (651) 297-2126.

Out-of-State & Military Minnesota Vehicle Registration

If you're a non-resident student or member of the military located in Minnesota but claim residency in another state, you do not have to register your car with the MN DVS as long as your registration remains current with your home state.

MN Military Vehicle Registration Tax Exemption

Minnesota residents who are active duty military members stationed out-of-state or overseas are exempt from registration tax during your duration of military service, and for 90 days after you complete your military obligation. You must be the vehicle's owner or co-owner, and your car must remain registered in Minnesota during your active service.

To claim your exemption, mail a copy of your military orders along with your car registration to the DVS (see “Register by Mail" above). Make sure that they clearly state your dates and areas of active duty out of state or overseas.

Minnesota License Plates

When you register your vehicle, you have the option of obtaining standard license plates, or ordering personalized or specialized plates for an additional fee. These license plates portray a variety of themes, from collegiate pride to military/veteran service. For detailed information, please visit our guide on License Plates & Placards in Minnesota.

MN Motorcycle & Special Vehicle Registration

There are also registration requirements for Minnesota motorcycles and mopeds, as well as special vehicles such as ATVs, dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and custom-built or replica cars. 

Please visit any of the following pages for further details on Minnesota registration requirements:

Motorcycle Registration

Scooters, Mopeds, Etc...

Special Vehicles


Application to Title and Register a Motor Vehicle
Title and register your vehicle with Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services.
Notification of Assignment, Release or Grant of Secured Interest
Add, release, OR grant a lien on a Minnesota vehicle title. Must be notarized IF releasing a lien from a title.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review