Bill of Sale Requirements in Minnesota
MN Bill of Sale Basics
Minnesota does not require a bill of sale to complete a title transfer after a vehicle transaction.
Beyond the requirements of the Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS), a bill of sale is a good idea for both buyers and sellers to record and prove a transaction has taken place. It can be used:
- As a receipt of the transaction.
- To protect the seller in the event the buyer fails to register the vehicle or abandons it.
- To file away for tax purposes.
MN Bill of Sale Requirements
Vehicle buyers and sellers who use a bill of sale form should be sure it includes the following information:
- Printed names, addresses, and signatures of buyer(s) and seller(s)
- All owners must sign.
- Date of purchase.
- Complete description of vehicle with make, model, and year.
- Vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Final sale price.
Generic Bill of Sale
To assist you in finding a form, we provide links to a free, printable bill of sale form you can use.