Voter Registration in Michigan

On This Page

Voter Registration Made Simple

Your country needs your vote. Here's how to register in Michigan.

Attention: Voter information and identification requirements may change prior to an election. Please check the Secretary of State website to make sure you have the most current information.

Register to Vote in Michigan

If you would like to participate in Michigan elections, you must register to vote with the Michigan Secretary of State, including at any branch offices, the offices of your local city or township clerk, and other state agencies.

Voter Eligibility in Michigan

To qualify for voter registration in Michigan, you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen.
  • Be a resident of Michigan, and of the city/township you're registering in.
  • Be at least 18 years old by the next election date.
  • NOT currently imprisoned for a felony offense.*

*Your voting rights are restored once you are no longer incarcerated. You will need to re-register to vote.

When you visit the polling booths to vote on election day, you will need to provide identification, such as your:

  • Driver's license or ID card.
  • U.S. passport.
  • Military ID card.
  • Student identification.
  • Tribal ID card.

NOTE: If you're unable to provide acceptable photo identification, you can vote by signing an affidavit.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Register to Vote in Michigan

NOTE: You must register to vote in MI at least 30 days before the next election.

In Michigan, you can register to vote by mail and in person by submitting a completed State of Michigan Voter Registration Application (Form ED-121) to your city or township clerk.

You can also process voter registration at your local MI SOS branch office when you apply for a driver's license/ID card, or update your address.

Once your form has been processed, your city or township clerk will issue you a MI voter identification card.

NOTE: If you're registering for the first time and submitting your application by mail, you will be required to submit a copy of your photo identification. See the application form for further details.

MI Military and Overseas Voters

If you're currently living overseas or in active military duty, you may register to vote through the Federal Voting Assistance Program.

Just complete a Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Request Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) (Form 76) and return it to your local Michigan election office by mail, e-mail, or fax.

The FPCA allows you to request absentee ballots for all elections in the calendar year that you apply.

You will need to re-submit a FPCA every year you are away and every time you change your address.

NOTE: All other voters who are eligible for absentee voting can register using the standard method outlined above. Visit the state's website for information on requesting your absentee ballot.

Deadline to Register to Vote in MI

To be eligible to vote in Michigan, you must be registered to vote at least 30 days before the election date.

If you are unable to attend the polling booth on Election Day, you can request an absentee voter ballot. Your request for an absentee ballot must be received by 2 p.m. on the Saturday before the election.

Check Your Michigan Voter Registration Status

To check the status of your voter registration information and view a sample ballot for the upcoming elections, visit the Michigan Voter Information Center on the Secretary of State website.

Change Your Voter Name or Address

You must re-register to vote every time you move to a new city or township in Michigan.

To update the name or address on your voter registration, simply re-submit the State of Michigan Voter Registration Application (Form ED-121) by mail or in person to your local city or township clerk or at a Michigan Secretary of State branch office.

You can also update your information online at the ExpressSOS website.


Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Request Federal Post Card Application - 76

Register to vote AND request an absentee ballot if you're currently living outside Michigan.

Voter Registration Application/ Driver License/Personal ID Card Address Change - ED-121

Register to vote in Michigan AND/OR notify the Secretary of State of a change in address. BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through