Replacing a Lost Registration in Michigan

There are many reasons why you might need to replace your car registration. Maybe you misplaced it, or maybe you accidentally drenched it in coffee on your way to work. No matter the reason, you can replace it quickly and easily through the Michigan Secretary of State (SOS).

Need a replacement plate or sticker?

Jump over to our page on lost license plates and decals for the information you need.

Obtain a Duplicate MI Registration

Replacing a lost vehicle registration in the Great Lakes State is easy; you can do so:

  • Online.
  • In person.

If you own a car, your replacement is free; if you need a new moped registration, you’ll pay a fee.

Let’s go through each option below.


To replace a lost or damaged registration certificate online, visit the SOS web portal and provide your:

  • Birthdate.
  • Eye color.
  • Last 4 digits of your Social Security number.
  • Driver’s license or state identification card number.

If you’re requesting a duplicate registration card for a company car, you’ll also need to provide the:

  • Business name.
  • Vehicle title number.
  • Zip code of the business.

In Person

If you prefer human interaction, or you lack access to a working printer, you can request a replacement vehicle registration in person at your nearest SOS office.

Simply visit the office and provide your:

  • License plate number.
  • Registration number.

As with all trips to the SOS office, you should:

  • Bring your driver’s license.
  • Know your Social Security number.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review