Replacing a Lost Title in Michigan

Replacing a Lost Title in Michigan

Your title is an important document, but it's easy to misplace it. After you get another copy of your title, be sure to place it somewhere you'll be able to find it. In the future, you may need the title if you sell your vehicle, transfer it to a family member, or title it in a different state.

There are several steps in the process of applying for a duplicate title, and this page covers it all. Continue reading for the information you need to obtain a replacement title in Michigan.

Applying For a Duplicate Michigan Title

You'll need to start the process by visiting a Secretary of State (SOS) branch office and:

You can expect your Michigan certificate of title to take about 10 days to arrive in the mail.

Do you need your title sooner than that?

You may receive the duplicate title on the same day in Michigan. However, you'll need to visit your local branch office that offers instant titling services and make sure you meet the requirements. Give them a call first to verify.

All owners listed on the title should go to a local MI SOS office, present proper identification, and sign the form. If that's not possible, complete an Appointment of Agent form. This allows the person named on the form to act as an agent and sign on behalf of the title holder.

Anyone needing a duplicate title in Michigan might want to call the Information Center at (888) 767-6424 before heading to the branch office, just to verify that you have everything you need for your situation.

Michigan Residents Living Out of State

If you're a Michigan resident who is temporarily living outside the state, the process of replacing your title is a bit more complicated to replace your title. However, we've broken it down for you. Here's everything you need to complete the duplicate title application process by mail while you're outside of Michigan.

  • Provide proof of vehicle ownership, such as your Michigan registration card.
  • Complete the Application for a Michigan Title (Form TR-11L).
    • To add a security interest, indicate this on the application form.
    • To remove a security interest, submit a statement showing that it has ended.
  • Complete a Special Mailing of Title Request (Form TR-114) if you want the title mailed to an address different than the one listed on the application.
  • Include a check or money order for $15 made out to the "State of Michigan" to cover the duplicate title fee.

Then, send everything to:

  • Michigan Department of State
  • Special Services Branch
  • 7064 Crowner Drive
  • Lansing, MI 48918

If you have any further questions, you are more than welcome to contact the department at (517) 636-5872.

Change Your Name or Address on Your Title

If you need to change your name or address on your vehicle title, the MI SOS will require you to visit a local office.

You will be asked to show the document of your name change, or show your updated MI driver's license. The fee to apply for a corrected Michigan vehicle title is $15.

NOTE: All owners must be present with proper identification at the time of your visit.


Special Mailing of Certificate of Title
Give the Secretary of State permission to release your MI vehicle/watercraft title to another party.
Application for Michigan Vehicle Title
Apply for a Michigan car title with the SOS.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review