Replacing a Lost CDL in Michigan

For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.

Licensed by the
California DMV
California DMV
Online Registration Online Registration
Same Day Processing Same Day Processing
E-copy of Registration E-copy of Registration
Alternate Mailing Address Alternate Mailing Address
Phone Support Phone Support
$29 Convenience Fee Learn more below

Start Your CaReg Expedited Registration Renewal

You must apply for a replacement commercial driver's license in person with the Michigan Secretary of State (SOS). The MI SOS requires certain CDL-specific documents before issuing duplicates.

You can help prevent identity theft by reporting your lost CDL to local and state law enforcement agencies; also, consider submitting a driver record alert to notify the authorities someone might be using your name during traffic stops. Remember, it's illegal to operate a commercial truck or any commercial vehicle until you receive your duplicate CDL.

Apply for a Replacement CDL in MI

You can apply in person for your replacement CDL at your local SOS office. Be ready to:

Michigan Driver Record Alert

Michigan provides a Driver Record Alert Request Form (REV 2016) for drivers who've lost or had their licenses stolen.

This alert IS NOT designed to for identity protection purposes; it's designed to protect you in the event a law enforcement officers pulls someone over who's using your name and license. Once the alert is on your driving record, you might have to provide identification if an officer pulls you over.

For identity theft purposes specifically, the MI SOS encourages you to contact and report your lost CDL to both the Michigan State Police and the Michigan Attorney General. BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through