Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in Michigan

Many Michigan residents love mopeds and scooters, so let's take a quick look at the two popular and fun alternative means of transportation.

As defined by Michigan lawmakers, a moped has an engine displacement of 100 ccs or less and is unable to reach 30 MPH or higher on a flat service.

If it a vehicle exceeds any of these qualifications, it's classified as being a motorcycle.

Where your vehicle falls under these classifications is important, as different rules apply. For instance, registered mopeds may be driven by any licensed driver, or anyone over 15 years old with a moped license. But, to drive a motorcycle, you'll need to have a CY endorsement. (See our Motorcycle License section for details.)


Mopeds don't need to be titled, but they do need to be registered. To do so, go to a Secretary of State (SOS) branch office and follow the procedures for registering a car. You may need to provide proof of ownership with documents such as a bill of sale of a manufacturer/dealer's certificate of origin.

Registrations cost $15, are valid for 3 years, and will expire on April 30 of the third year. Be sure to affix your registration decal on the rear of your moped in an obvious spot.


You must be at least 15 years old to drive a moped. If you don't have an operator's or chauffeur's license, you may apply for a moped license at a SOS branch office. You'll be required to pass a vision test, a knowledge test, and traffic sign test.

If you're under 18 years old, a parent or legal guardian will need to sign your application.

Moped licenses cost $7.50, and are good for 4 years. Renewing your license costs $6. (If you're under 20 1/2 years old when you receive your license, it will expire when you turn 21 years old.)

Already have a valid operator's or chauffeur's license? Then you don't need to bother with a moped license.

Other Moped Information

Moped riders under 19 years old will need to wear a helmet when driving on a public road.

Moped riders are entitled to a traffic lane, but need to stay as close to the curb as practical.

The SOS provides a great deal of moped safety and driving information for riders.


Depending on its makeup, a scooter could be categorized as a motorcycle or a moped.

Therefore, follow the appropriate guidelines outlined either in this article, or in our Motorcycle sections.

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review