Name Change in Michigan

Summary: How to Change Your Name in Michigan

To change your name on your Michigan driver’s license or ID card, car registration, and title certificate, you'll need to visit a SOS office in person. You'll need to provide proof of your name change, payment for duplicate documents, and other documents where required.

Continue reading this page to learn how to change your name with the Michigan Secretary of State (SOS).

Change Your Name with the SSA

Before you change your name on your MI driver's license/ID card and vehicle documents, first update your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA). The SOS verifies your name change with the SSA, so, if your Social Security card hasn't been updated, you will experience delays.

To change your name on your Social Security card, you'll need to submit the following items either in person or by mail to your local SSA office:

  • A completed Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
  • Documents proving your:
    • Identity (e.g. driver's license, passport, ID card).
    • U.S. citizenship (if not on file already) OR lawful presence in the U.S. (e.g. citizenship certificate, work permit and I-94, U.S. birth certificate.
    • Name change (e.g. marriage certificate, court order, divorce decree).

The SSA will process your request then send you your new Social Security card within 14 business days.

For a complete list of documents you'll need for a corrected Social Security card, see the SSA website.

MI Driver's License/ID Card Name Change

To change your name on your MI driver's license or identification card, you'll need to visit a MI SOS office in person and:

  • Submit your current MI driver's license/ID card.
  • Provide proof of your name change, such as your:
    • Divorce decree.
    • Marriage certificate.
    • Legal document.
  • Have your photo taken.
  • Pay the required fee.

Usually, you will receive a duplicate driver's license or ID card, however, if your card is about to expire, the SOS may give you the option to renew instead.

Car Registration & Title Name Change

To change your name on your vehicle registration and certificate of title, visit your local MI SOS office in person with:

  • Your current registration document.
  • Your certificate of title.
  • Proof of your identity.
  • Proof of your name change.
  • Payment for the $15 corrected title fee.

NOTE: All owners listed on the title must be present and have identification. Owners who cannot appear in person must complete an Appointment of Agent (Form TR-128) to allow someone else to sign on behalf of them.

Fees to Change Your Name in MI

It will cost you the following fees to change your name on your MI Michigan Secretary of State (SOS) documents:

  • Driver's license:
    • Correction: $9.
    • Renewal: $18.
  • Enhanced driver's license:
    • Correction: $24.
    • Renewal: $38.
  • ID card:
    • Correction: $10.
    • Renewal: $10 (free if you're 65 years old or older, or legally blind).
  • Enhanced ID card:
    • Correction: $30 ($20 if you're 65 years old or older, or legally blind).
    • Renewal: $30 ($20 if you're 65 years old or older, or legally blind).
  • Certificate of title: $15.
  • Car registration is free.

For more fee information, including accepted payment methods, contact your local Michigan SOS office.

Change Your Michigan Address

If you've moved in Michigan, you'll need to inform the SOS of your new address as soon as possible. You can do this either in person, by mail, or online.

Read our Change of Address in Michigan page for instructions.



Application for an original, duplicate, OR corrected Social Security card.


Power of attorney form giving someone else permission to sign SOS documents on your behalf for the buying, selling, OR titling of a vehicle, motorhome, OR watercraft.

Related Content

Provide Feedback BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through

Looking for Name Change in Another State?