Salvaged Vehicles in Maine

Maine can be a tough state―especially on motor vehicles. Your car may be damaged in severe weather, or lose its luster over time to the elements. In the most extreme case, you may get into a severe accident that totals the vehicle.

Regardless of the cause, when your car becomes so damaged it’s no longer roadworthy—safely or legally—you or your insurance company might decide it’s a salvage. The Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) gives you a few options when it comes to dealing with a salvaged vehicle—read on to learn more.

What Is a Salvaged Car in Maine?

Your car is a salvage when you or your insurance company declare it to be a total loss.

In Maine, a vehicle is usually deemed a total loss when the cost for repairs total about 75% or more of the car’s actual cash value (ACV). Simply put, the ACV is how much your car was worth before the damage, as calculated by your auto insurance provider.

Your insurance company determines this amount based on a variety of calculations and considerations including everything from national databases to the individual car’s wear and tear. You’ll need to speak with your insurance carrier for specifics on how they calculate actual cash value.

ME Salvaged Title Application Requirements

If your car insurance company declares your car a total loss, they will be responsible for applying for a salvage certificate whether or not you keep the car as part of your claim settlement.

However, if an insurance company was not involved in declaring the car a salvaged vehicle, you will be responsible for applying for the salvaged certificate.

To apply for a salvaged title with the ME Bureau of Motor Vehicles, generally you’ll need to provide:

  • A completed application for a certificate of salvage.
  • The vehicle’s title.
  • The owner’s name, residence, and mailing address.
    • This might be the insurance provider’s information or your information, depending on who keeps the vehicle.
  • The settlement agreement date.
  • A vehicle description including its:
    • Make, model, and year.
    • Vehicle identification number (VIN).
    • Body type.
    • Current mileage.
  • Chronological information about liens and lienholders.
  • Payment for the $33 salvage title fee.

Again, this is a general outline of salvage title application requirements. For specifics, make sure you get in touch with your local BMV agency OR the Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles’ main office at (207) 624-9000. 

If you do keep your salvaged car, you can either sell it to a company that specializes in handling salvaged vehicles, or you can rebuild it and apply for a rebuilt title.

Maine Rebuilt Car Title

Now that you have a ME salvage title, you have the option to repair the car and apply for a rebuilt title.

Types of Rebuilt Titles

Maine has different types of rebuilt titles and the type you apply for depends on your car’s circumstances:

  • Rebuilt title: You replaced at least 1 component part but fewer than 5 component parts.
  • Rebuilt salvage title: You replaced at least 5 component parts OR you used a front or rear clip to repair the vehicle.

Apply for a ME Rebuilt Title

To begin the process, you or a repair shop will repair/rebuild the vehicle. Whoever repairs the vehicle must complete an Affidavit of Rebuilt or Repaired Salvage Vehicle (Form MVT-103).

Your rebuilt vehicle will need to pass an inspection. BEFORE heading out, ask a local BMV representative about any permits you might need to drive the vehicle to the inspection station. Then, take your repaired vehicle to an inspection station operating with the approval of the Maine Department of Public Safety’s State Police—an inspector from the Motor Vehicle Inspection Unit will examine your repaired vehicle.

A few things to keep in mind when it comes to your vehicle inspection:

  • This inspection is similar to the annual safety inspection all vehicles in Maine must pass; however, the inspector will check for the vehicle and component parts’ identification numbers.
  • Once your car passes, you’ll get a safety inspection sticker and other paperwork related to applying for a rebuilt title.

Then, submit your application for a rebuilt or rebuilt salvage title by providing:

  • An application for a rebuilt/rebuilt salvage title.
    • You must obtain this at your local BMV office—while there, be sure to ask an agent about any additional application requirements you’ll need to submit.
  • The Affidavit of Rebuilt or Repaired Salvage Vehicle (Form MVT-103).
  • The proper documentation for each:
    • New component part: Bill of sale.
    • Used component part: VIN and title information on above affidavit.
  • Payment for the applicable fees.
    • These may vary—ask your local BMV office for specifics on what you’ll owe. Keep in mind, this is a general outline of what you’ll need. Don’t hesitate to call the ME Bureau of Motor Vehicles at (207) 624-9000 with any questions you have.


Affidavit of Rebuilt or Repaired Salvage Vehicle
Submit this affidavit when titling and registering a rebuilt OR repaired salvage vehicle with the Maine BMV to disclose where replacement parts came from.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review